DYH vz Yellow Naped

MM16

Mar 21, 2021
Parrots
No parrots now, grew up with a rescue Yellow naped Amazon
I am trying to do as much research as I can, I have a few questions.

shocking leaning to 3 of the most popular parrots, DYH, yellow naped and african grey, in that order.

Growing up we had a yellow naped which I wish all this info was so readily available.

1) Is there much of a difference between DYH and yellow naped, I don't really see too much.

2) From what I read and common sense, there can be a difference between males and females but each bird is unique in itself.

3) I have 4 kids and if the parrot is socialized with them from day 1 is it possible they will be able to be a person the bird will like to be around, again understanding each bird is different.

any other info would be helpful
I'm in the middle of reading the thread of reading body language

Thanks
Mike

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The "hot three" Amazon's..Yellow Nape,Double Yellow Head,and Blue Fronted 'zons are all unique in their own way. As you mentioned,like people,they have their own personalities. I have had zero interaction with YN and a friend who lived with me for a while,some years ago, has the sweetest DYH.
I am the personal servant/care giver of a 31y.o. Blue Front that has been with me since he was 4 months old.
It is difficult to say which is better. I understand DYH can be "calmer" and gentler than the other two,but as mentioned,each bird is differnt.

When it comes to Grey's,thats an entirely different story,trying to compare apples to oranges. I also had a Timneh African Grey for 28 years. She passed away six years ago, I can't even begin to explain her personality (Birdinality??)

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You have four kids and if your life is not busy enough, you want to add a large Parrot into the mix? In all cases you are looking at demanding species that require extensive one on one time.

We just had three grandkids here for the last four days and it was non-stop from the moment they woke to the final moment when the last one final fell to sleep. Thank God, our adult Double Yellow Headed Amazon can self-entertain as we had little time for him. Plus, he had finally finished this year's over the top hormone season, in which there where days that a minor mistake of entering his space could result in a true face to beak moment! Each day, we came very close to having to move a kid out of the Amazon danger zone prior to a our Amazon doing nothing more than protecting himself!

There are wonderful success stories out there, but in every case, individuals with extensive experience introduced their baby human to the household Blue-Fronted, Yellow-Nape, or DYH Amazon. There are far more cases where the child was rushed to hospital with very serious bits on the face, neck fingers, arms, etc, etc, etc...

Strongly recommend that you seriously reconsider this!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Many years ago I had to rehome my YNA because my kids. He was there first, but as they got bigger, he hated and he nearly took one of their pinky finger off. totally not his fault, but....

And every DYH I have ever met hates me on site, which sucks, 'cuz I love them.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I had three Amazon parrots at the time of my son?s birth.
By the time he was a toddler we had the cages protected by a baby gate.
We could step over and kept accidents from happening.
Constant supervision when birds were out of cage.

It may have been made a little easier for me than most.
At that time only one of the birds could fly.
The one that could fly was a wild caught, not interested in human company and could only fly in a straight line.

Anyway I think children and parrots can coexist but it takes care and planning.

My opinion is that a Grey is not as loud as an Amazon but an Amazon will be more at home in a busy house than the Grey.
Good luck with whatever you pick.

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
This scares me when I read or hear about people wanting certain birds..and they currently have young children in the house or don't know the essential risks that come along with owning a species of bird that can outlive everyone in the household.

I just rescued a double yellow headed amazon...previously I owned a blue crowned conure for many years..longer than what most owned dogs for. I was much younger in age, in the military...didn't have any children at all...4 years into ownership, got married, had a baby girl...then my time got very consumed caring for the bird and my new born baby girl...fast forward...when it came time to travel, I had to find a close friend to swing by the house and care for the bird...come back and the bird was more aggressive than what it was when I left...I had to spend more time with this blue crowned and limit my travels.

I ended up finding one specific friend that he grew fond of...someone he could trust whenever we had to go somewhere....it was very difficult!!! These aren't dogs, they are extremely emotional creatures that acquire a TON of attention. Fast forward another 10 years...I had to go on a deployment...I had to find a new home for my bird hoping he won't die!! A simple bird like the Blue conure can live up to 30 years man....

So now you are asking about a Double yellow headed amazon..think about my story above. .they live till 80 years. I have "some" experience with parrots and I owned one for 15 years prior to me rescuing our new parrot...and its a completely new challenge! Not all will cuddle, not all will want to be touched, not all can be left alone for the majority of the day...

The bird industry is not like the dog or cat industry...puppy mill pet stores will breed these birds beyond the capability to what our society and communities can handle. Do your homework and I strongly suggest to find a REPUTABLE rescue and see what type of bird will fit your family. I didn't choose this bird for my home the bird chose me...and I need to continuously learn about this species and not the other way around.

And lastly, there are many SCAM artist in this industry, you will find many African princes trying to sell you African Greys for a cheap price...and you will lose your money quicker than your search results.

This is my experience owning a Double Yellow Headed Amazon..im retired and have enough income to tend to this bird, and I expect this bird to be inherited to one of my children when I pass away in 40 to 50 years....

I came to this forum like you trying to find my new friend...as I truly missed my other who I had to give away which was devastating...decided to go the rescue route..and well when I arrived to pick my parrot of choice, I turned into the rescue as the living conditions for the bird was horrific. Its turning out to be very rewarding as she is intelligent enough to know we saved her.

Hope this helps give you a realistic point of view on what you are walking into..these aren't dogs or cats and their intelligence levels are through the roof..which comes with emotional attachments that could literally kill your bird and or hurt someone in your home. Best of luck and don't be afraid to get educated on Parrots, there are MANY out there that may in fact be a better fit for you and your family.

-jesse

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Forgot to include another thing...its very very easy to find dog trainers or caregivers and vets for dogs and cats...but good luck finding a trainer for your bird, and not all vets can care for Parrots. Make sure the vets in your area have experience...cause that was a life saver having a vet that has massive experience with this species of bird..one of the staff specifically bred double yellow headed amazons and stopped breeding because of the above mentioned and im certain for many other reasons. But I would have been screwed if I had vets with limited experience with my DYH...just FYI

OP
M

MM16

Mar 21, 2021
Parrots
No parrots now, grew up with a rescue Yellow naped Amazon
Thanks for all your responses. It's great that people will take out there time to help.
My youngest kid is 10, and they are not the ones wanting a parrot, it's me and even if they did they will be typical kids and in a week they will not be interested in a week. My family has grown up with birds but just one parrot we rescued (yellow naped). Close to where I live we have an amazing bird store, which I have been going to for years and talking to them about these parrots. I have been going through so many threads researching , I am not one of the people I see often on this forum and seems like they bring a parrot home and now are trying to learn what it is to care for a parrot. I also understand life changes and it has to change with the parrot in mind. Every morning and throughout the day I say to myself, if I had a parrot I needed to care for would I have time. And there has beens time I say no, but not often. We have space if we did get a parrot almost like an indoor avery. One question I have asked a few people is it fair for the bird if I get it as a baby, there has been very interesting answers for both sides, one that has stuck with me is: they asked if for the rest of your life can you give the parrot a great life until I die, she said if your answer is yes then a baby bird is not out of the question. I also go on the couple of bird rescues close to me and they have actually said they have not had a lot of birds recently. I have an application into both. Again thank you for your help and opinions they are very helpful. I am going continue my research and hopefully I make the right decision for everyone involved. I am confident that I will give a parrot a great life.

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Thats awesome, hope everything turns out well for you! As stated previously, I am still trying to learn as much as I can, some really nice people here that took the time to provide some useful information. They also provided helpful links, which became.beneficial 🍻🙌

Most Reactions

Latest posts