Dyson Airwrap: chat agent says safe, has anyone used it?

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Denim cobalt linnie (neelu)
Hi šŸ‘‹ happy new years!
I have heard that Dyson hairdryers have Teflon šŸ˜°
But I know other Dyson products donā€™t have it. was interested in the Airwrap which is a heat styling tool ā€¦ anything that can make getting ready in the morning quicker or easier! I know you guys feel me.

So I struck up a chat with a helpful agent, he says there is no Teflon, no ptfe pfoa or other chemicals. He says itā€™s completely safe around birds . Iā€™ll attach some of the chat. He was so nice and said ā€œbirds are preciousā€šŸ„²

Anyway, because Iā€™m a crazy mommy and I will die if anything happens to my babies, I grilled him a little more. I asked what the heating component is made up of, and any non stick coatings.
He told me the coating is a high quality plastic composite thatā€™s safe around birds. The heating element is metal wrapped in silicon. I thought he said silicone and that did worry me, because although many ppl use silicone baking mats, I threw mine out after I read a horror story about some bird killing ones from Amazon that smoked up at 400 degrees. (Assuming those were defective? but Iā€™m too paranoid to use them now)

I think silicon is different in this case, but not šŸ’Æ sure. Dyson seems like a trustworthy company so I want To believe this info.
But! Crazy mommy still wants to know if anyone has actually used it around their birds!

Iā€™m also happy to reveal all the bird safe items I use regularly , tried and tested.
Iā€™ll do a new post about that
Thanks!

OP
KissyBeak

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
2CF5CFCE-22B8-4CF4-8D05-E26F73C86EBA.png
4E7D00B8-ADC0-480D-9811-755182373564.png
8C0E8189-8904-4BA0-B52F-7CDE1A8C5371.png

MRM

Mar 20, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi šŸ‘‹ happy new years!
But I know other Dyson products donā€™t have it. was interested in the Airwrap which is a heat styling tool ā€¦ anything that can make getting ready in the morning quicker or easier! I know you guys feel me.

So I struck up a chat with a helpful agent, he says there is no Teflon, no ptfe pfoa or other chemicals. He says itā€™s completely safe around birds . Iā€™ll attach some of the chat. He was so nice and said ā€œbirds are preciousā€šŸ„²

Anyway, because Iā€™m a crazy mommy and I will die if anything happens to my babies, I grilled him a little more. I asked what the heating component is made up of, and any non stick coatings.
He told me the coating is a high quality plastic composite thatā€™s safe around birds. The heating element is metal wrapped in silicon. I thought he said silicone and that did worry me, because although many ppl use silicone baking mats, I threw mine out after I read a horror story about some bird killing ones from Amazon that smoked up at 400 degrees. (Assuming those were defective? but Iā€™m too paranoid to use them now)

I think silicon is different in this case, but not šŸ’Æ sure. Dyson seems like a trustworthy company so I want To believe this info.
But! Crazy mommy still wants to know if anyone has actually used it around their birds!

Iā€™m also happy to reveal all the bird safe items I use regularly , tried and tested.
Thanks!
Hey just wanted to add to this.
The representative a spoke to told me they do in fact contain PTFE in the insulation elements. Therefore are not considered safe for a bird household.
So unfortunate and such a let down.

Attachments

• C3F97960-C794-4833-A602-EF427B1FBB0D.jpeg
    C3F97960-C794-4833-A602-EF427B1FBB0D.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 90
OP
KissyBeak

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Hey just wanted to add to this.
The representative a spoke to told me they do in fact contain PTFE in the insulation elements. Therefore are not considered safe for a bird household.
So unfortunate and such a let down.
Oh no! Thatā€™s too bad, thank you SO much for the info though :) I really appreciate it. I had ended up just buying a conair ion choice hairdryer and round brush šŸ¤“ because it had positive experiences from bird owners, no bad stuff and option to turn the ions off, so Iā€™m happy about that. Iā€™ll stick to my trusty old hair tools I guess!

So surprising that Dyson is so behind the times!
Conair seems to be the only really trustworthy brand from what Iā€™ve been able to gather-
Again a million thank yous for this valuable intel šŸ’•

OP
KissyBeak

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
Can I also just add, that im so annoyed that the rep I spoke to neglected to inform me properly šŸ˜©
This is exactly why I donā€™t trust them, and prefer to go the tried and tested route !

I just bought a Ninja Foodi grill, have been running it outside- so many bird owners have mentioned how great and safe it is.
Still itā€™s always nerve racking buying a new appliance regardless of how much validation you get from other bird parentsā€¦ anyway Iā€™ll report back again and add my voice, after Iā€™ve used it safelyā€¦

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi šŸ‘‹ happy new years!

Thanks!
I appreciate your concerns because we all know how delicate our birds' lungs and sit sacs are. When a salesperson makes claims that a material is safe for birds I get a bit suspicious. How does the salesperson or even Dyson know it's totally bird safe? Did they run the product on the high heat setting in an enclosed space with a canary in the room and concluded it was safe because the canary didn't die? Did a CAV give said canary a full exam including ultrasound, x rays and a a CT, before and after the experiment? I highly doubt it. If a pet parrot got sick or died soon after exposure to the product and the parrot owner sued for damages no lawyer would even take the plaintiff's case because the recoverable damages are too low to justify it. So, I'd take what the company rep says with a grain of salt because they probably, at best, don't really know, and at worse are lying to you. Trust your own instincts. If it makes you nervous don't do it.

OP
KissyBeak

KissyBeak

Feb 5, 2022
Parrots
White budgie (lotus)
I appreciate your concerns because we all know how delicate our birds' lungs and sit sacs are. When a salesperson makes claims that a material is safe for birds I get a bit suspicious. How does the salesperson or even Dyson know it's totally bird safe? Did they run the product on the high heat setting in an enclosed space with a canary in the room and concluded it was safe because the canary didn't die? Did a CAV give said canary a full exam including ultrasound, x rays and a a CT, before and after the experiment? I highly doubt it. If a pet parrot got sick or died soon after exposure to the product and the parrot owner sued for damages no lawyer would even take the plaintiff's case because the recoverable damages are too low to justify it. So, I'd take what the company rep says with a grain of salt because they probably, at best, don't really know, and at worse are lying to you. Trust your own instincts. If it makes you nervous don't do it.
In total agreement! šŸ’Æ! They just donā€™t get itā€¦.
No one understands except bird ownersā€¦
I had a carpet cleaning person come to my door to try and give me a free trial couch or rug cleaning- I said no and explained about my birds. As almost everyone does, she kept going on and on about how organic and pet safe their cleaning products were ā€¦šŸ˜©
For me, If I canā€™t drink it, Iā€™m not using it around the birds :)

And this point I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever buy anything from Dyson, tbh ā€¦I donā€™t trust them at all

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
These days EVERYTHING is made in China. I have over 10 years direct experience working with manufacturers there, been to the factories, seen the products made, been to platers and heat treaters etc. Deep into the underbelly of manufacturing in China. I trust NONE of them. If they can save 2 yuan ($0.24) per unit by using a cheaper coating, not readily detectable by the customer, they will do it. In China, that is considered good business - it is a different mind set over there. I can assure you that Dyson, Conair or any other appliance retailer has little control or real knowledge over exactly what goes into their products. If it works and doesn't burst into flames, they consider it good.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
These days EVERYTHING is made in China. I have over 10 years direct experience working with manufacturers there, been to the factories, seen the products made, been to platers and heat treaters etc. Deep into the underbelly of manufacturing in China. I trust NONE of them. If they can save 2 yuan ($0.24) per unit by using a cheaper coating, not readily detectable by the customer, they will do it. In China, that is considered good business - it is a different mind set over there. I can assure you that Dyson, Conair or any other appliance retailer has little control or real knowledge over exactly what goes into their products. If it works and doesn't burst into flames, they consider it good.
Unfortunately most Americans won't pay the prices for goods made in the US. Outsourcing by American companies years ago has spoiled them. American factory workers won't and shouldn't have to work for China wages.

Most Reactions

Latest posts