Early warning signs?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi folks,

Bit of a weird one today. I was thinking. Is there any early warning signs (besides weight) for when a parrot is sick?

I constantly worry about my bird. Every day if I see something slightly off I get intense anxiety. I do have an anxiety disorder, but I’m wondering if there’s any early signs I can use to ease my anxiety and decide if my bird is sick or not.

Any advice?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel you on that.
What should be reassuring is that a bird on healthy diet , getting plenty of exercise ( especially flighted) living in a clean environment, not exposed to other parrots is t going to break with a random virus , highly unlikely to develop a bacteria infection and as long as fruits and sugar foods are limited develop a yeast infection. Also the above greatly lower older bird issues of heart disease or fatty liver.

You have a young bird you care for excellently you should enjoy for a long time.

But any changes in poop, activities level , vocalization, extra naps, fluffy, extra sneezing, discoloration of feathers above nares, swelling around eyes in front of eyes, chsnge in iris color( other than normal color changes in some species as they mature are things to look out for. Unkempt feathers, greasy not preening. Delayed or skipped molts, or very prolonged molts Change in routine. Avoid chills, or sudden temperature drops.

Years ago Ta-dah stopped taking daily baths , for her it is her normal to take a bath nearly every single day. This caught my attention. Then she looked ragged during molt, and took an extra nap during the day. Then I noticed she smelled yeasty. She did end up having a systemic yest infection. Investigation some seeds in a new bag of food were discoloration ( white safflower seeds were black) treated for yeast quickly recovered. Prior I had not been weighing my birds , this forum educating me on that. Immediately did start weighing and she went from 64 grams ( sick weight) to her now normal 74 grams.

Most Reactions