Earring thief! Mostly just ranting….

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
Help! My GCC is an earring thief….like this little dude is a straight up Houdini and I’ve bought locking earring backs (but cheap ones off Amazon) and those things don’t work. Anyone else have the same problem?!?!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hah, yep. It must be a conure thing, as I think it comes up every couple months! Necklaces too!

Just wait till he expands to keyboard caps. Our tiel used to snap them in half!

Best I can offer you to to keep a Tupperware or jar with a lid near his cage so you can take your jewelry off and stow it before interacting with him. They can’t help it - earrings are fun and dangly and shiny, and why would we stick them in our face?! I’ve had my nose ring groomed once, and I swear my soul left my body; I was so afraid he’d pull it out.

They’re so cheeky and cute though, I bet it’s hard to stay upset. ;)

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Oh yes this is so familiar. I have never worn earrings all the time even though my ears are pierced but do when I go out. I quickly learned to put them on and take them off in the car! Little did I think that this little feathered ball would change my behaviour so much. I'm almost fearful to analyse how my life has been changed since he came into my world!

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Wait until he figures out how to unclasp necklaces ! I cant wear any jewlery around albie as he finds its great fun to figure out how to remove them and fly off with them. He lost a really nice earring doing that .

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hmmm, not just a conure thing. My ekkie is the same way. He'll pop an earring out before we even notice he was looking at it and chew and bend up the posts like a pretzel. He's sneaky about it too. Very gentle so many times I didn't even notice he stole it! I used to have one in 24/7, so I never really paid attention to it being there. I had to stop wearing it completely about 2 years ago :(

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I didn't even notice Opie had taken mine out until I looked to see what he was chewing! Clicking around in his mouth like a kid snapping gum!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I didn't even notice Opie had taken mine out until I looked to see what he was chewing! Clicking around in his mouth like a kid snapping gum!
Yup, exactly!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Most Reactions

Latest posts