Eating

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Hi was wondering if its best to give my macaw ( Billie ) her pellets and fresh food in same bowl or separate?

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I put fresh food in a separate bowl because it goes bad after a few hours. So I can leave the same pellets but dump the fresh food.
Do you have them in the cage at same time?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I do put them in at the same time, but I wonder if you might get a parrot to try fresh food by taking away pellets or seed for a short time (while leaving in the food you want them to try).

Also you may scatter pellets/seed in with the fresh food to get your bird to try the new food.

Last edited:
OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I do put them in at the same time, but I wonder if you might get a parrot to try fresh food by taking away pellets or seed for a short time.

Also you may scatter pellets/seed in with the fresh food to get your bird to try the new food.
Ok thank you for your help

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I do the same as HeatherG, and offer fresh food separately. If I offer it in a bowl, I sprinkle a little seed on top for my picky eater. I also use a skewer for big chunks, which both my birds really like.

Cotton is especially motivated to eat peppers so I hide chunks all over the place. I have to remember where they were to clean up later, but he usually finds them all ;)

There also are foraging cages for bigger chunks -

1668949774721.png

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I do the same as HeatherG, and offer fresh food separately. If I offer it in a bowl, I sprinkle a little seed on top for my picky eater. I also use a skewer for big chunks, which both my birds really like.

Cotton is especially motivated to eat peppers so I hide chunks all over the place. I have to remember where they were to clean up later, but he usually finds them all ;)

There also are foraging cages for bigger chunks -

View attachment 45812
Will try that too thank you

Most Reactions

Latest posts