Eckie With Clingy Bird Syndrome...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I never associated Eckies with being big on the Touchie-feelie stuff... but I was just given an Eckie that has MASSIVE clingy bird syndrome. Like in your face want to be held and pet all the time, NEVER SET ME DOWN!

He flies to me the second I walk in the door, and I literally have to cage him to get him to go down.

He's very sweet, but there is no off switch with this bird.

Obviously some of this is hormonal. He had a female he was super bonded with and she died recently. They were raised together and inseparable, and she died recently. He's obviously transferred that bond to me.

Anyone else have this problem with a male eckie?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yeah... I hear soooo many people with ekkies that are pretty much hands off birds. Not that they don't want the attention or to be with you, but no interest in being handled, pet, touched at all, or at best, very little. This has definitely not been my experience, but I've only had two to base things on. Ekkies are for sure different from any other species. Just a different agenda, and really intense about it. They're super smart, super observant, and mine have been super clingy velcro birds. Literally in your face, beak up against my cheek or nose, and ALWAYS wanting that eye contact. In my own limited opinion, if there's a bird that can look in your eyes, and see YOU, the very essence of you, right down to your soul, it's an ekkie. Parrots have their empath abilities, but to me, ekkies are on a whole different level.

My current guy is also pretty jealous. Not aggressive at all, but can't be out with my other two. (YNA and a grey) He's very well flighted, and will actively get between them and me to block them. It's quite funny really, but leaves much potential for serious injury if those beaks get going, so I just give them separate times out of the cages to keep them all safe.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah... I hear soooo many people with ekkies that are pretty much hands off birds. Not that they don't want the attention or to be with you, but no interest in being handled, pet, touched at all, or at best, very little. This has definitely not been my experience, but I've only had two to base things on. Ekkies are for sure different from any other species. Just a different agenda, and really intense about it. They're super smart, super observant, and mine have been super clingy velcro birds. Literally in your face, beak up against my cheek or nose, and ALWAYS wanting that eye contact. In my own limited opinion, if there's a bird that can look in your eyes, and see YOU, the very essence of you, right down to your soul, it's an ekkie. Parrots have their empath abilities, but to me, ekkies are on a whole different level.

My current guy is also pretty jealous. Not aggressive at all, but can't be out with my other two. (YNA and a grey) He's very well flighted, and will actively get between them and me to block them. It's quite funny really, but leaves much potential for serious injury if those beaks get going, so I just give them separate times out of the cages to keep them all safe.
That's exactly what he is doing. Cannot possibly get any closer to my face or any clingier than he is.

I've fostered two of them many years ago, and never ran into this. It was more like you can pick me up and talk to me but none of that touchie feelie in your face stuff...

Not this one!

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
That's exactly what he is doing. Cannot possibly get any closer to my face or any clingier than he is.

I've fostered two of them many years ago, and never ran into this. It was more like you can pick me up and talk to me but none of that touchie feelie in your face stuff...

Not this one!
You mean like this one who thinks I am her personal play gym.

Attachments

• Tequila-being - needy.jpg
    Tequila-being - needy.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 25

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yep, Parker can be like that - to some extent itā€™s trained behavior, he accepts and likes some wing strokes and head pets, will lean into your hand if offered. He never used to like all that.

Itā€™s all really down to the individual, as in all things birds.

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Yep, Parker can be like that - to some extent itā€™s trained behavior, he accepts and likes some wing strokes and head pets, will lean into your hand if offered. He never used to like all that.

Itā€™s all really down to the individual, as in all things birds.
My boy was handreared, so will let me pick him up, Iā€™ve tought him to step up & let me do his nails, but he really doesnt like to be ā€˜pettedā€™ at all.. After a year Iā€™m able to get to 4/5 strokes on his throat without him biting. I can also place a hand over his back for a count of 5, (which is similar to being picked up). I did teach him it was ok to have a towel over him and be picked up. (Must reinforce) but heā€™s just not a cuddle bug. Mines definitely a hands off boy, canā€™t get near his wings.. but he does like his eye contact, & a ride around on your head & shoulers, very nosey.
In the dark likes to be called to. He answers back with a soft ā€˜yeeahhhā€™ honk.

Most Reactions