Eclectus and/or conure diet?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, hopefully I will be getting my first bird relatively soon. I'm not sure if it's going to be an eclectus or conure, I've been looking at both. I want to make sure I'm prepared for either scenario though. I'm for a large part prepared I've just seen so many varying thoughts on diets for both and I was wondering what you guys feed your eclectus / conure. I've heard eclectus parrots need a different diet than most parrots due to a longer digestive system or something, what do they need in addition to the base ingredients? I plan to serve the bird I get fresh food along with pellets, that what is generally advised I believe... do correct me if I'm wrong though ^^;;

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

The ekkie diet isn't that bad. Fresh fruit and veg. The "base diet" you describe is actually seeds and pellets. Most of these are blended with added vitamins and minerals. This is not great for ekkies precisely because of the longer digestive system. Also please don't give a poor conure a seed diet. Unless it's a finch or a canary, that's an awful diet for any bird.

That said, if you intended to feed a fresh food diet, there's really not much difference. Maybe a tad more fiber for an ekkie (little extra whole grain as a proportion of their diet), but that's it. More heavy on the veg side than the fruit.

Last edited:
OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Based on your profile picture, I assume you have an ekkie, do you have a specific recipe you feed yours?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I do. No specific recipe, that's what keeps it fun. You mix it up using what you have on hand. What I do right now is take a goldenobles blend (I.e. Caribbean bounty) and blend it up into small pieces with a food processor, and freeze. When I feed, I add some water and nuke to defrost so he gets hydrated food.

I also throw in fresh sprouts or diced tropical fruits, maybe coconut oil, hemp seed hearts. Whatever your heart desires.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
What's a goldenoble blend if I may ask..?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Sorry, I meant goldenfeast. Goldenobles is a brand of pellet made by goldenfeast.

Most Reactions

Latest posts