Eclectus Diet (what they eat in the wild), has anyone heard of these things?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I’ve been researching the Ekkie diet, and wanted to find things that they eat in their homeland. I came across this:

If fed 80% raw fresh foods then Eclectus will not need to drink a whole lot of water. They should get most of their moisture from the fresh fruits and veggies they eat. Here is a list that they have been known to eat in their homeland:

Pandanus (screw pine), Nonda Plum, Red Beech, Grewia Papuana Burret, Mackinlaya, Pirrungu, Hopbush, Micromelum Minutum, Dissiliaria Laxinervis

Brittlewood, Nasturtium Tree, Syzygium Bamagenese (myrtle family), Sarsaparilla Tree, Solitaire Palm, Livistona & Dicksonia Palms, Small-leaved Fire Vine, Crepe Myrtle, Cinnamonwood

If you can duplicate this then you are doing great by your Eclectus, if you can’t find these trees or roots the following list will be a tad easier to find at your local grocer here in the U.S.:

SUPER FOODS

African Cucumber (horned melon, Kiwana), Broccoli and Broccolini and Leaves and Stems (broccoli leaves are very high in Vitamin A), Horned Melon (african cucumber, Kiwana), Kiwana (horned melon, african cucumber), Sea Buckthorn Berries, Artichoke

Most of these things I’ve never heard of. Are we able to get these things in the U.S? This is the article I found that had this stuff in it just as a reference.
http://everythingbirdsonline.com/eclectus-parrots-loyal-companions/

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Shhhhhhhhhh, you’re saying the quiet part out loud!!!

Kidding of course. Yes to all above. Getting water from food is a common life strategy, not just with parrots.

Some of those items can be had in the US, some easier to find than others. Kiwanos are in many us grocery stores, and crepe myrtles are VERY common landscape trees across the US. Other things you’ll have to look harder for, perhaps in assorted asian markets (something I enjoy doing for Parker from time to time).

But by and large you can get by without location specific fruits.

Most Reactions

Latest posts