Eclectus First Weeks Home

DarthPaul

Jul 12, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus (male)
Hi there everyone. 👋
I'm new here and I'm a new Eckie owner. I've had different birds in the past that I found awesome and grew very attached to. 2 budgies, a cockatiel, love bird and a GCC. My love bird and conure we're my favorites, bold, bossy but packed with so much personality. I just brought home a 15 week old male Eckie. Got him fully weaned, unfortunately he had been weaned onto a diet of Zupreem fruit flavored pellets and mixed veggies.
Before bringing him home I made 5 freezer bags of chop for him consisting of 20 different fruits and vegetables a tiny bit of lentils and trace amounts of crushed egg shell ( microwaved) and a little ground fresh ginger.
Thankfully I never had to give him any Zupreem he took to the chop right away and this thing eats like a 🐴!
So that's the good, now for what I'm unsure of is I've only had him for about a week but he doesn't seem to do much. Just kinda sits around watching. Occasionally he'll nible at a toy or make a cute sound but no real play, not much vocalization, no antics, nothing like birds I've had in the past. Do these guys simply warm up slowly? I guess I'm used to how my hand raised love bird and Green Cheek we're raring to go right out of the gate. My little Eckie steps up after a little prompting, and he'll allow me to pet his chest and scratch around his chin and face but no shoulder rides, cuddles, games etc.
I remember my first week with my Green Cheek we were playing games on the kitchen table and she would ride shoulders all the time. This guy is very different. So what do you Eckie owners say, normal behavior for a new baby?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve never had an eclectus, but big bird personalities are very different from little bird personalities. I would not decide your eclectus doesn’t like you. He’s pondering on the situation. Still waters run deep, you know.

Gcc’s are very energetic and so are lovebirds. I think of them like yappy little dogs (birds). Your eclectus is a big slow-moving bird. Just a different style, I think, besides that he’s watching you to decide what he thinks of you. Haha.

Most Reactions