Eclectus iron in water

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Hi,

I saw some information about toucans the other day. They are as eclectus prone to iron storage. It is recommended to use demineralized water for toucans.

Should I be doing the same for my ekkies?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
As in, distilled water? I've mostly read not to give this to parrots but I will look into it because that is an interesting idea. I just was looking into this and had a hard time finding much in support of distilled water for human or animal consumption. I get purified water (avoiding ones that say, "with minerals for taste" or whatever...I also have a purifier on my tap and sometimes use that to fill her water, but less often.

I will keep looking though. Have you checked the iron levels in bottled water or are you basing this on tap? I do not give spring water, btw.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Distilled water and demineralized water are commonly the same thing depending on the end use. Both are considered as 'dead water' and should not be used for Human, Pet and especially not Parrots unless nothing else is available at that moment. Dead water, is using in lab work and when a build-up of common minerals is not wanted.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Toucans are unique in their tendency towards iron storage disease. Ekkies do not share this same concern. So this really shouldn’t be a concern for you :)

OP
SilleIN

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Toucans are unique in their tendency towards iron storage disease. Ekkies do not share this same concern. So this really shouldn’t be a concern for you :)

Okay. I have always been told not to give my ekkies citrus often as the vitamin C is a factor for iron storage, which should be worse in ekkies compared to other parrots.

A problem is also that iron storage is also dependent on vitamin A- and ekkies are prone to vitamin A deficiency.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
They aren’t sensitive to iron storage disease, so That’s not really the concern with citrus. The concern is more just the acid and sugar content. They can absolutely have citrus in moderation without detriment.

Moderation being the key.

ALRAINBOW

Mar 27, 2020
I have a 7 stage reverse osmosis system for my kitchen. one stage is mineral replacement put back in from the removal stages. The ph is even adjusted as well. my pair have been using this 1 1/2 years all ok so far. I truly enjoy these forums for its rich knowledge. Reg sleep. I read hear they need good sleep , who knew lol. I’m up all hours playing music , tv . So I took some advise they have a room of there own and loving it. Thanks all here.

Most Reactions