Eclectus keeps damaging lower beak

crmnh

Sep 24, 2022
NH
Parrots
Eclectus & Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi all, I have an 18 year old female Eclectus who's been with me since she was 3. Over the past year or so she has been damaging her lower beak, sometimes it is a small crack in the center, sometimes it breaks off a small piece. I have her beak trimmed every 2-4 weeks which usually keeps it under control but lately it seems like it's happening more often and I believe it is from her biting the bars on her cage. I've removed any toys from her care that could be the cause at this point. There are plenty of toys in her cage for her to chew on, (which she does) and I change them regularly. She is in her cage while I am at work and at night, and she's out of it whenever I am home. I'm just worried that she is going to cause a serious crack or break to her beak and I don't know what else to do to help her. I have taken her to multiple vets but have not gotten any answers, some of them want to put her under just to trim her beak which I do not like at all. She is healthy and has had full checkups including bloodwork, fecal exams, etc., her most recent checkup was just a few weeks ago. Aside from staying on top of the trimming I haven't found any answers. It seems like every time I wait more than 2 weeks, there's an issue that could potentially lead to a really bad crack or break. Her upper beak has no issues at all. I admit to being very neurotic about her health and well being but I don't think I am over reacting in this case. Any thoughts on what I can do to help her would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Ekkies, yes. Beak issues, not so much. Buuuut, as an outside pair of eyes, I'm wondering if maybe trying a cage with different bar spacing might help. Change the leverage available to do the damage, you know? Just a thought. My guys have never been bar chewers, thank goodness, so I'm just looking at it from a purely mechanical perspective.

Do your vets agree that the cage bars are the most likely cause? I feel like there's more going on, honestly. Beak growth that needs trimming every few weeks sounds quite excessive, so perhaps there's a nutritional/diet component adding to the mix?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if a cage with plexiglass walls would work? Or vertical bars?

OP
crmnh

crmnh

Sep 24, 2022
NH
Parrots
Eclectus & Blue & Gold Macaw
Ekkies, yes. Beak issues, not so much. Buuuut, as an outside pair of eyes, I'm wondering if maybe trying a cage with different bar spacing might help. Change the leverage available to do the damage, you know? Just a thought. My guys have never been bar chewers, thank goodness, so I'm just looking at it from a purely mechanical perspective.

Do your vets agree that the cage bars are the most likely cause? I feel like there's more going on, honestly. Beak growth that needs trimming every few weeks sounds quite excessive, so perhaps there's a nutritional/diet component adding to the mix?
I'm going to ask the vet about the cage, I really can't think of anything else at this point. I should have mentioned that her lower beak will naturally grow to the right on it's own it it's left alone, I think it's just a genetic thing, so that's why I have to stay on top of it. It's only been within the last year that she's had issues with breaking a small piece of it off so I take her 2-4 weeks so that it won't happen. If I take her every 2 weeks there are never any issues, sometimes I can get away with 4 weeks but not this time...4 days from her next appointment of course. My biggest worry is that she'll cause a bad break or a crack. She does eat a healthy eclectus diet and never has junk food, sunflower seeds, etc.

I wonder if a cage with plexiglass walls would work? Or vertical bars?
I was thinking about finding a sleep cage that is plexiglass, maybe that'll help. I just don't know what to do about the time while I'm gone at work. I guess I can try to find a larger one.

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated.

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
Hi,

Since she's had a vet check, at least you don't have to worry about any serious health issues.
Does she get much calcium in her diet? That could help strengthen her beak.
My mum's galah is always chewing the bars on her cage and has chipped and scraped bits of her beak in the past, but she remains in good health.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I'm going to ask the vet about the cage, I really can't think of anything else at this point. I should have mentioned that her lower beak will naturally grow to the right on it's own it it's left alone, I think it's just a genetic thing, so that's why I have to stay on top of it. It's only been within the last year that she's had issues with breaking a small piece of it off so I take her 2-4 weeks so that it won't happen. If I take her every 2 weeks there are never any issues, sometimes I can get away with 4 weeks but not this time...4 days from her next appointment of course. My biggest worry is that she'll cause a bad break or a crack. She does eat a healthy eclectus diet and never has junk food, sunflower seeds, etc.

I was thinking about finding a sleep cage that is plexiglass, maybe that'll help. I just don't know what to do about the time while I'm gone at work. I guess I can try to find a larger one.

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated.
My sister gave me a travel cage or carrier for medium sized parrots that’s made of plexiglass, if that’s any help. But as I remember it would be rather small for a sleep cage. Maybe you could get a plexiglass large or extra large carrier to use for a sleep cage? Otherwise you could hire a carpenter to build a plexiglass cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts