Eclectus Parrot Subspecies

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I was wondering if anyone knows how to tell what kind of Eclectus parrot I have?! I didn't realize there were different subspecies. When I googled it all of the photos look the same to me. With conures for an example you can really see a difference in the different species by coloration.

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
In the first moment I wanted to write "eclectus parrot is a species, there are subspecies" but then I've reminded that IUCN made 4 different species - if you mean just these 4 species (not subspecies) I could write the differences but only for females (for males it's much harder). But somewhere also I've seen described differences for all subspecies of both genders, I could try to research it

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
In the first moment I wanted to write "eclectus parrot is a species, there are subspecies" but then I've reminded that IUCN made 4 different species - if you mean just these 4 species (not subspecies) I could write the differences but only for females (for males it's much harder). But somewhere also I've seen described differences for all subspecies of both genders, I could try to research it
Thank you for your response. When I made an appointment with a vet they asked me what kind of Eclectus parrot I have. When speaking to others who have experience with parrots I get asked that too. I am just trying to figure out the type of Eclectus Nico is. I actually would like to learn this. I tried to understand it myself, and see the differences. I can’t figure it out. I know the Solomon Eclectus parrot is smaller from what I read.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
In this case, probably you meant subspecies (IUCN version of 4 different species instead of one isn't popular yet)
I think I refound the article - it is in two parts:
1. http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/how-to-identify-eclectus-parrot-subspecies-part-i-2/
2. http://www.parrotsdailynews.com/how-to-identify-eclectus-parrot-subspecies-part-ii/
Yes, I did mean subspecies (I did edit that). When reviewing photos the male ekkies look the same to me. The females you can tell a difference.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Yes, I did mean subspecies (I did edit that). When reviewing photos the male ekkies look the same to me. The females you can tell a difference.
I meant I don't know female difference of all subspecies - just grand, vosmeari, vornelia and riedeli. But the linked article described differences of both genders of all subspecies

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Eclectus subspecies are TOUGH, particularliyi the males (females are much easier). Especially when you look in the US where subspecies are routinely crossbred with little regard for preserving the unique subspecies in captivitty. There isn't really anyone here on the forum with expertise to identify the subspecies on the spot.

There are two starting points that can really help narrow it down however: weight and the length of the tail. Certain subspecies tend to stay small, 350g or smaller. The bigger subspecies tend to be 425g or bigger.

The tail: what you might think of as the quintessential ekkie tail is rather short and stubby. The tip if the tail doesn't really extend past the tip of the folded wings ("no obvious tail you can see" might be a good descriptor). Other groups of subspecies tend to have longer tails that extend a few inches below the wings in a much more obvious tail.

But again, if you want to ID your subspecies and you live in the US, its ALMOST a fruitless effort as you are more likely to have a bird who is not pure.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Nico is 364 grams. He’s on the smaller side of Ekkies. His tail feathers are longer then his wing feathers. I know his first vet thought he was a Solomon. I just thought it would be interesting to know what kind of subspecies’s of ekkie Nico is. I also try to do research about what ekkies eat in the wild vs captivity. Just because I’d like to keep things as natural as possible. I figured someone on here would know how to tell the subspecies of ekkies. I certainly can’t tell the difference in the males.

Most Reactions

Latest posts