Eclectus Squaking

staffdd

Aug 29, 2011
I need some professional help here folks. I've had a year and a half year old female eclectus that will not stop shreeking/squaking! She has always quietly squaked when I'm around. I figured that it was her way of talking to me to get my attention to pick her up/feed her whatever, which it was.

I went camping 2 days ago and now she just will not stop. Squaks loudly every 2-3 seconds for the ENTIRE day. It doesn't matter if I'm holding her, letting her sit on a perch beside me, in her cage, even when she has a beak full of food. She does it all day and night no matter what, especially if she sees me.

I have tried standing infront of her with my back turned until she's quiet, putting her in a dark room for a few seconds with the door shut, leaving the room when she talks, ignoring her, telling her no etc. Nothing is working because she wont stop long enough for me to appraise her when she is quiet! I dont want to try more forceful methods as she'll see that negative attention is also attention, and the fact that I want her to still trust me completely.

I do not know what to do and my patience is wearing out. I may strangle her soon! (kidding, or am I?) Does anyone have any experience with a stubborn bird that can give me a tip?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I think this is going to be a hard one. First i would suggest a visit to a Vet. If this behavior is sudden there is a possibility she has picked up a bug or isn't well for some reason.

She could be hormonal & looking for a mate. If she is around 2 years old that maybe the reason.

http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/articles/How Parrots Learn Behavior 2003.pdf

https://companionparrotonline.com/screaming_reasons.html

Parrot Behavior Problems | Positive Bird Training

Hope these links gives you some ways to help. You can also join Barbara's mailing list. She often emails me lots of helpful info on parrot behavior.

EChina

Sep 22, 2011
Hello!

Did you find out what was wrong? i would be interested to know cuz mine does the same some times. I hope you found out something =)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I think a vet appointment would be a good idea if this persists. Does she seem agitated, or just talkative?

Sometimes Puck won't STFU and it drives me crazy... I put him in his travel cage and cover it until he's quiet, and that seems to help a lot.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Did you take the bird to the vet?

My personal experience with Amazons is that after you have been gone for an extended time (in your case 2 days) is that they get separation anxiety and they act out for a while. I had an Amazon who was like that for about 2 weeks after my one week vacation. So, I think your bird is telling you all about it.

Most Reactions