*Egg Butt!*

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
I have a 4 year old lovebird, who within the last 6 months has just started laying eggs. She has had 3 batches, and about 3 eggs each.

We've made a few changes to try to help with her hormones. We bought her a much bigger cage with no toys resembling nesting material, and it seemed to do the trick.

8 days ago, I noticed an egg butt :(

With each batch, I noticed that she'll have an egg butt for about a week before laying her first egg. This time we have passed a week and I'm getting a little freaked out. I'm not sure how the egg process works, but what i've read is that the egg forms within 24 hours. Is it safe for her to "hold it in"?

A little background about her health: She is caged by herself, and her "girlfriend" is in the cage next to her. Both DNA tested, and both have had eggs to confirm this. She seems to be in fantastic health. She's bright, alert, eating TONS, drinking water, going to the bathroom (always plentiful). She has a cuttlebone and is on pellets, with sunflower seeds as treats.

Her bottom looks normal. Large, but normal. There doesn't seem to be any signs of strain or pushing.

My question: Is she in any harm "holding on" to the egg? Is this normal? I did give her a cuddle hut to nest in, and some shredders to shred, hoping to push the process along, and there is nesting behavior, but no egg.

If there is no clear signs of egg binding, at what time would you guys take her to the vet?

Thanks!!!!

Kate

Edit: I tried to search for any egg butt threads but couldn't find anything. Please link me if you have a good one :)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hello, be safe, be sure and go see your AV. Discuss the situation and see what help they can give to your girl. As she has laid so many eggs it may be wise to discuss her health in general.

Search 'egg', 'egg binding' as a suggestion.

A cuddle hut is probably being seen as a sort of nest btw.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yes it is dangerous. Please take her to an AVIAN vet ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Scary! Makes me glad I have a rooster. :)

Good for you for being vigilant and reaching out.

Good luck!

OP
K

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks everybody! Now i'm even more freaked out. Sounds like an emergency trip to the vet tomorrow!

I agree, it's time take the next step in discouraging the nesting behavior. I used to take her out a lot. I would take her for a walk, car ride, etc. She LOVED it. Now, she still has a pretty nice life, but she's not as social. We went from living in the city, to living on a ranch with many many wild birds. We have a thriving barn owl population (4 in the tree right above our bedroom window) and taking her outside, even in the bird backpack, makes me so nervous.

Usually she does not have a cuddle hut, but seeing as clearly there's an egg in there, I found it appropriate. I've had this discussion with my mother in law several times- we both have chronic egg layers. We feel that it's more humane if you can clearly see there's an egg, to give her some where comfortable to lay it, otherwise she'd be laying at the bottom of the cage. It seems somewhat cruel, but I'm not a bird, I have no idea what she's feeling or what makes her comfortable.

OP
K

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
I have to also say, the weird thing is, she's acting great. I know birds are fantastic at hiding their symptoms, but for some reason she actually seems more alert and more energetic. I was thinking of trying a warm soak on her bottom, but she doesn't seem in distress, in fact, I feel like if i was to help I would stress her out. I've seen no pushing or straining. And all seems pleasant when she's going to the bathroom. I keep joking with her that it's time to push even if she doesn't want to!

I have three birds and she's the only one I ever have any health issues with, and the only one with a huge attitude. I feel like she's a teenage girl trapped in a lovebirds body. She always keeps me on my toes.

OP
K

Katebrownb

Feb 10, 2016
Hello, be safe, be sure and go see your AV. Discuss the situation and see what help they can give to your girl. As she has laid so many eggs it may be wise to discuss her health in general.

Search 'egg', 'egg binding' as a suggestion.

A cuddle hut is probably being seen as a sort of nest btw.

I just wanted to post that she laid a HUGE egg a few days ago.

I took her in a steamed bathroom, and massaged a little oil on her bottom, and she went back to her cage and popped it out. It's about twice the size of her girlfriends egg... time to make some changes, so this isn't an on going issue.

It also seems like she was never egg-bound. I'm not sure why it takes her so long to go from showing to laying..

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanks for letting us know! I'm glad it turned out well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts