Egg food

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
Green Cheek Conure- Melody
What is egg food? Where can I get it? and what brand do you recommend?

Our new budgie used to have a diet of egg food according to the previous owner, I had a hard time getting much info about what she feeds, and she didn't give me any to start with, I don't know what to do.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
WOW, Egg Food!

So, who did you get this budgie from? I don't need to know, its more just a statement of: Like What? Regarding not being very open regarding what has been feed to this budgie. Normally, that is a very common practice, as a means of assuring that the budgie can transition to a new diet and if needed can fall back on a known and liked food.

I would guess you have a very young budgie and that this 'Egg Food' stuff is like a formula, maybe?

Well, unless you can get the information from this individual and that sounds like a dead end! You're choice is the local Pet Stores /big box stores or online. As I said, if this is a very young Parrot, look for Baby Parrot Formulas with that name.

In the mean time, you need to be providing a good transitional diet for a budgie and since I am an Amazon Snob, I will leave that to a budgie pro!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Egg food is a high calorie egg based supplement, it's usually used for breeding birds and young birds as extra calories and isn't a complete diet. I'm not sure why the previous owner would have had them on it, and hopefully not as a sole diet. It's usually just fed as a treat or supplementary food.

OP
B

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
Thanks. I am trying to contact the seller and find out what food she fed. the budgie is over a year by what I was told. she hasn't eaten anything since we brought her home last night.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
What kinds of foods have you offered her?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I've seen this advertised for sale at my local pet store, it is supposed to be fed to breeding birds for supplement/protein/extra tasty for them, so I'm not sure why the last owner was feeding the budgie this stuff. It looks similar to hand feeding formula but it is not the same. It won't hurt your bird but a supplement to a healthier diet of fresh fruits, veggies, pellets.

OP
B

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
She said she was feeding mainly egg food, she also mentioned pellets (didn't tell me the brand) a seed mix, and some fruits and veggies. I have offered carrots (the owner told me they like them, but she hasn't touched them) plum (which she took a small bite of) raspberry (which she took a small bite of) and rowdybush pellets (which she hasn't touched) Thanks to everyone for being so responsive.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I would definitely try to get more information out of the person that had her before, and just keep offering a variety of foods in the meantime.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I would definitely try to get more information out of the person that had her before, and just keep offering a variety of foods in the meantime.

Agree with this, also it could be the size of presentation of the food your new bird doesn't like. Also be mindful that the smaller the species, the smaller you should present food - any fruits and veggies should be finely chopped in a food processor. My birds would NOT touch fruits and veggies until I chopped them up pretty good.

OP
B

BirdyMommy

Jul 16, 2017
Colorado
Parrots
Budgie- Captain America
We have offered things in a variety of sizes, we just added some chopped up hard boiled egg, as well as some lettuce leaves to the mix. The lady who had her only told me that it was normal for them not to have an appetite the first few days in a new home (which I already know) and still wont tell me any specifics about the food, I know the basic diet, but I wish she would give me specific brands and products.

Most Reactions