Elvis Has Left The Perch

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
Elvis the Sun Conure, born 1987, member of family 1988-2021
Our Sun Conure, who would have been 34 in July, died this morning. He was a good companion for us. He has always with us at home with a sleeping box next to my chair and in the bedroom. We went on many trips with us, some 50,000 miles. I once dipped his toes in the Pacific ocean (he didn't appreciate that).

We had taken him to the avian vet yesterday for his annual exam, and all indications ere he was healthy for his age, except for strokes and occasional trembling (indicating strokes) and leg paralysis, which had recently started up again after months of none. We did allow the vet to anesthetize him for a blood pressure test, and think that may have been a mistake. (The vet called after learning the news and thought he recovered well from the test and it was likely more strokes.)
Alas, we will mourn our loss forever. Elvis, we will see you in heaven one day and the flock will be together again.:rainbow1:

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am so sorry, my deepest condolences for your loss of Elvis. Well loved and traveled, may decades of memories comfort you in grief.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh no! Deepest sympathy for your loss of Elvis. Many of us here completely understand losing a lifetime companion bird. There are no words, but time and happy memories will help to comfort you as days go by. Fly free, little Elvis, until we meet again at the rainbow bridge.

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
Yes, at the rainbow bridge. His eye's are slightly open and I broke out crying saying "wake up, Elvis, wake up!". Alas, it is not to be.

Thanks for the sympathy. i thought I was ready for his passing..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry to hear of Elvis passing. But I'm very impressed you gave him a happy 34 years! Thats amazing.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Conure10, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Elvis. They leave such a terrible hole in our hearts when they pass. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life, and it's obvious how much he was loved. My deepest condolences to you at this very difficult time.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Elvis, you will be forever loved.

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
Thanks to all for your condolences. Elvis bonded with me, Patrick, soon after we bought it at age 1 in Florida. It had a wonderful life with lots of attention and affection, which it returned to us. I think having it in the same room we were in helped give it a good life.

I brushed my teeth and took a shower today without him as a companion for the first time in probably more than 10 years. I cried this morning asking it to wake up knowing he never would.

He is now buried in our backyard and we plan to get a small monument for him. The house feels empty.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
“All of us feel such deep sadness when our Parrot friends die, and because they are Animals and not Humans, we are at a loss for words. Often, it is only other Parrot owners who can understand the depth of the loss that we feel with this complex, loyal, and loving creature. Resulting from such a loss, I have placed feelings and emotions into words and found verse to console the loss of my Cleo and since her, other sweet Amazons, in turn; I hope it will speak for you.”

You left this world so quickly. I can hardly comprehend your leaving. Yet there, in my hands, your still body rested — no longer your home. So much I have learned, so much you have taught, your purpose a full measure beyond your size. Comprehensions of your loss still a mist but yet, I know you are whole and happy - now beyond Rainbow Bridge. And so busy you must be upon your green wings, guiding angles to those of us yet to cross. With in my ear, I still hear you, those special sweet sounds of comfort and contentment:

“Do not stand by my grave and weep my friend.
I am not here. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the gentle summer rain.
When you wake in the morning hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry my friend.
I am not there. I did not die.”

My pray for you my beloved feathered friend:

“May your body nourish this earth.
May your soul find release and contentment.
May you fly high and free upon wings of spirit.
Rest in peace little green one.”

The love and tender warmth of you is a un-full-fill-able void.
I do so much thank-you for creating a space for another, a special place next to yours’.

In remembrance of Cleo, (Estimated) Spring 1959 - May 2003

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm so sorry...It sounds like you have some amazing memories though-- Even if he didn't appreciate it, not many parrots can say they dipped their toes in the Pacific Ocean and lived so long with the same, loving family.

You "did good".

Hang in there (cry as much as you need). I am sorry, again.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
What an amazing life Elvis had! I’m so very sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
My first morning in decades drinking coffee without Elvis on my hand, his beak over the rim shaking it and taking a sip. The memories just keep flooding in. My crossed leg shows the sock which has a hole in it where Elvis use to sit and chew on it. The towel I use to throw over the shoe to interrupt this behavior can now be put up.

Thanks to all for the sympathy. This is hard. I'm working on a video of Elvis to put in my YouTube channel and will let the forum know when it's done.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

My first morning in decades drinking coffee without Elvis on my hand, his beak over the rim shaking it and taking a sip. The memories just keep flooding in. My crossed leg shows the sock which has a hole in it where Elvis use to sit and chew on it. The towel I use to throw over the shoe to interrupt this behavior can now be put up.

Thanks to all for the sympathy. This is hard. I'm working on a video of Elvis to put in my YouTube channel and will let the forum know when it's done.

Please understand grieving is highly individual and a meandering road to acceptance. We never forget our beloved parrots and react in varied ways. Some seek peace from pain, others find solace with recognition and enshrining our feathered children. Personally, I find it helpful to collect artifacts and place them in secluded location. Provides immense comfort just knowing a part of their being exists. Looking forward to seeing your video of Elvis.

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
I have done a YouTube video celebrating Elvis. Unfortunately my narration isn't very loud and I will try to re-do that. See Elvis here: [ame="https://youtu.be/Do3YCGTDu1g"]Elvis the Sun Conure - YouTube[/ame]

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
What a lovely video-- narration was a good volume (for me). Nearly made me cry though because I am soooo attached to Noodles and you can just see the love in these video clips.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
What a beautiful tribute to a truly beautiful bird, Conure10, thank you! Elvis was so lucky to have had such wonderful parronts. How ever long they are with us, it can never be long enough. I wish they could live forever!

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
Thanks for sharing the memories. How did Elvis travel 50k miles with you. was it in a car or on the back of a m/c?

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
Thanks for sharing the memories. How did Elvis travel 50k miles with you. was it in a car or on the back of a m/c?
A motorcycle would have been fun, but no, used cars, RV and travel trailers for trips. Heck, I think I left off probably 10k visiting the in laws every 6 weeks. I had a special poop towel on my shoulders that can now be repurposed. A thousand memories ....

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thank you for producing and sharing a loving, moving tribute to Elvis. A wonderful companion, well loved, deeply mourned.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Oh my Lord! What a sweet,handsome little boy Elvis was. I loved the part of him banging on the window following your "wife"? back and forth.
I am so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace and fly high little Elvis.

Jim

Most Reactions