EMERGENCY! Alex is off feed!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Dhxvdiehvdkxjdbehdidhr

I'm so worried I could vomit. I noticed just now Alex didn't eat his senior nutriberries, his crop is empty, and he seems to have some slight breathing stuff going on. Cheeks moving in and out a bit when he breathes and a slight clicking sound. Is this air sac mites?! Or a respiratory infection? Our bird vet only works 3 days a week and is about 1.5-2 hours away. I don't remember what days our bird vet works, but it is only 3 days a week. Will call in the AM and see what I can do. I bumped up the heat, what else can I do? I put doxy in the water but IDK if this is the right move if he has air sac mites. Our vet has perscribed doxy for respiratory illness in the past. No emergency vets

I'm on and off crying. I'm so effing worried.

He is acting pretty much normal other than being off feed. A little quieter than usual, and a little bit puffy. Still whistling, beak clicking, posing, heart wings, the whole deal. He seems a little confused about why I won't leave him alone lol. Thankfully he is a fatty fatty boombalatty so he has energy reserves.

I feel sick. I can't lose him

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What kind of bird is Alex.
What are you doing for warmth?
All of my parrots will eat thst egg food
Is he for sure a he? Egg binding can be quick

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Alex is a going on 19 year old cockatiel. My soul-bird, I've had him since I was just a kid. He is my best friend on this earth. I have an oil radiator going. I was reading online a bird has to get the mites from an infected bird? If so it couldn't be that. We have not brought any new birds into our home for over a year. So that leaves bacteria, fungus, or virus. Here's hoping bacterial and the doxy helps him. Our truck doesn't have heat right now, so that is a complicating factor for taking a sick bird to the vet.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Doxy a great start. How poops? Hsve you offered different feed see if pellets were just off or something?
Possible high c02? I know you use oil heater? Possible build up of carbon monoxide? Do yiu hsve a carbon monoxide monitor? Home improvement stores sell

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Bug I'm so sorry to hear Alex is unwell! Definitely keep warmth up to him in the meantime. I don't know what Alex's favourite food is, but if he has a VERY favourite treat offer him some of that, some calories are better than none. Fang's favourite is toast so I know if he won't eat that I've got trouble! I remember another member suggested 100% pure apple sauce like they use for baby food for a quick hit of calories and even a bit of hydration.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for your beloved Alex and hope you can get him in to the vet soon! :smile015:

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
I'll put a carbon monoxide detector in there. We have one in the bedroom I can move in quickly. Poops seem a little dark but otherwise normal I think. He has harrisons high potentcy and the senior nutriberries. Usually he eats the berries immediately after I give them to him, but it has been hours since he got them today and they are sitting ignored in his dish. IDK if he ate any harrisons. Neither package is newly opened, and he ate them happily yesterday.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Birds are more sensitive
However birds, due to their unique respiratory system, are at higher risk for poisoning and will show evidence of symptoms at 900 ppm carbon monoxide.

In comparison, mice won’t show clinical signs until almost double that amount of carbon monoxide.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Ok, will do. Put monoxide monitor in the room and it isn't beeping or anything, so that is good. He immediately was whistling and posing at me when I went in the room, and one of the 2 berries was no longer in his food dish. He didn't eat all of it, but he had nibbled at it and tossed it on the cage floor. Maybe I am overreacting. Don't care, still calling vet tomorrow, we will figure out a way to get him there if she thinks he should be seen. I do feel a lot better tho that he was fooling with the food. He also was on the other side of the cage and moving around to get closer to me to whistle. Plus he is shouting again when I am in the other room, which he hadn't been doing earlier. Still doing antibiotics and heat because I didn't imagine the respiratory distress, but he seems to be acting a bit better.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Great! How sensitive is monitor?,
I had a sea horse aquarium, and was have constant ph problems. Fortunately after many consultation with aquarist they ssidvi might have high c02 in my home. Sure enough I did! Had to have an air vent system installed in my house. And got a monitor, fixed my salt water aquarium oh problem too!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Slow down here!
- The oil radiator is electric correct?
- House heat is likely propane, supplemented with Wood Burning Stove or like, correct?

He's big, so at this point, water and warmth are the most important things.
At 20 hours in provide him his most favorite food 'even'! The goal is to trigger a eat response...

The Vet has a website? Check it for days and hours of your Vet.
Also, most Vets have an emergency contact line, call it and report what you know. Keep the message short and to the point!

Do you have a rubber hot water bottle! They work great for keeping a small area warm for a short time (cover with a towel) - perfect for the trip to the Vets office.

Big Amazon Feather Hugs and prayers your way!

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
We only have wood stove heat, no furnace. Wood stove has not been lit for the year yet, so all the heat is from electric oil radiators. It is 50° F tonight, we have the window in our bedroom open and it is nice, not too cold at all. The radiator is right next to Alex's cage in a room with the windows shut.

I'll scramble an egg or do cooked sweet potato in the AM, he almost never refuses those. Problem with vet website is only 1 at the practice is ABC and sees birds. Practice is open mon-fri, but the CAV is only there 3 days a week. Already tried to find her schedule online but failed. I'll look again and also for an emergency number I can call to leave a message on.

No rubber hot water bottle. We have used for human heat reasons a plastic 2 liter soda bottle filled with hot water, would this be safe for around a bird or might the plastic off gas too much?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Good to know electric oil heaters don't produce C02

" Doesn't Generate CO
When people hear the word "oil" in oil heater they often associate it with the negative press behind carbon monoxide poisoning. CO poisoning is a serious, life-threatening condition that can be caused by improper use of fuel-burning heaters. Heaters that use kerosene do generate carbon monoxide and must be properly ventilated, as must propane and natural gas units. However, an electric oil heater doesn't actually burn oil, thus it is not a CO threat."

Hopefully hers is electric!
Of course I had low build up of C02 and it was just because house was pretty darn air tight, this is just FYI, as I was told many homes csn have build up of C02 for many different reasons. And I was behind the times without a monitor

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No rubber hot water bottle. We have used for human heat reasons a plastic 2 liter soda bottle filled with hot water, would this be safe for around a bird or might the plastic off gas too much?

The plastic soda bottle off-gassed everything it could when there was soda under pressure in it. It is a great option. The towel is used to assure overly hot water does not cause a problem. Less towel thickness on the Parrot side, more towel thickness toward anything else.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
Oh perfect, ok. So we have a way to keep him warm in transit if required. That is good news. There are a few other issues with the truck, but they are secondary in my mind to his wellbeing. We really need to hurry up and buy a 2nd vehicle. Looking into used SUVs. Truck has headlights out(one is just a burnt out bulb, the other is a computer issue and will be 1k to fix), out of state registration, and one of the dogs was left unsupervised in the cab for too long and decided to chew thru the passenger seatbelt, lol. We decided to buy a second vehicle and store the truck for now, since it would be cheaper to buy a used SUV than to get everything sorted w truck. Plus we need a 2nd vehicle anyway.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
This time when I checked on him both berries were out of the dish on the floor of his cage. I had put the one back in, so he nibbled on and tossed both out this time. This time I left them on the floor of his cage. Turned out the light, I'll probably still check on him 1 or 2 times tonight but I am feeling considerably better than the panic mode I was in earlier. There is an "exotics emergency vet" listed on the vets website, so if he needs to be seen before our bird vet is working next there may be an option, which is another major relief.

And talk about an emotional rollercoaster, my brother just called to say he is proposing to his girlfriend tomorrow. What an evening! My psyche can't handle any more emotional stuff!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Ok, will do. Put monoxide monitor in the room and it isn't beeping or anything, so that is good. He immediately was whistling and posing at me when I went in the room, and one of the 2 berries was no longer in his food dish. He didn't eat all of it, but he had nibbled at it and tossed it on the cage floor. Maybe I am overreacting. Don't care, still calling vet tomorrow, we will figure out a way to get him there if she thinks he should be seen. I do feel a lot better tho that he was fooling with the food. He also was on the other side of the cage and moving around to get closer to me to whistle. Plus he is shouting again when I am in the other room, which he hadn't been doing earlier. Still doing antibiotics and heat because I didn't imagine the respiratory distress, but he seems to be acting a bit better.

Glad to see Alex is somewhat improved! Trust your instinct and contact a vet tomorrow. Any or all of your actions may have triggered relief - the key is to put it all together with diagnosis and cure.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I have all my fingers, toes and eyes crossed bug that everything will be ok for you and Alex! NOTHING worse than worrying about a sick baby. You are both very much in my thoughts.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
This AM he tossed around the berries again, but did not climb down to eat them off the floor. Still DK if he is eating pellets. I put in a small dish of budgie seed, he can't hide shells! I checked a short time later, and a few shells but not many. Will check again and update in a bit. Phone critical low batt, forgive shortness of comment and such please. Thank you for all the well wishes. Breathing seems pretty nirmal this am, and saw evidence of him drinking doxy water. Gave fresh as doxy water goes stale super fast. Havent been able to sleep

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Parrots
He has eaten some seed. Not a lot, but definitely some. He iswhistling as normal, and still have not noticed any respiratory stuff this AM.

Most Reactions

Latest posts