May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Budgies are from very dry regions and can get much of their water needs through their food. I have worried about water intake in the past but tomatoes, fruit, etc can be quite wet and give lots of water. I am supposing that you have tried a water bottle?
Yes, I have. He had a water bowl that he drank out of at the pet shop. My theory is that he was stressed to the point of forgetting how to drink (from being rehomed 3 times is his short life).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If Apollo is not drinking at all his eyes will be sunken and will appear small. He will act quiet and depressed. Easiest thing for the vet to do would be to give an injection of subcutaneous saline or similar if he is truly dehydrated.

I think if Apollo is active with the other budgies then he is ok and you should reassure yourself he is ok. Drinking is an activity that makes birds vulnerable to predation. Since Apollo is new in your home he would logically not make himself vulnerable in front of you. So unless he is sunken eyed and depressed, I think you could stop worrying.

And yes it’s fine for the other budgies to drink pedialyte:

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
If Apollo is not drinking at all his eyes will be sunken and will appear small. He will act quiet and depressed. Easiest thing for the vet to do would be to give an injection of subcutaneous saline or similar if he is truly dehydrated.

I think if Apollo is active with the other budgies then he is ok and you should reassure yourself he is ok. Drinking is an activity that makes birds vulnerable to predation. Since Apollo is new in your home he would logically not make himself vulnerable in front of you. So unless he is sunken eyed and depressed, I think you could stop worrying.

And yes it’s fine for the other budgies to drink pedialyte:
His eyes are semi-sunken and do appear small (his eyelids are also droopy). He's not that active, but is getting better every day! He feels totally comfortable with me and the other budgies at this point. I was going to bring him to the vet, but he is doing way better than he was a couple days ago, and is learning that water isn't scary!

Most Reactions

Latest posts