Emergency vet

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
So on Friday I came home and my baby had got caught in a toy with her foot wrapped round a thin lace (was part of a toy )and she was dangling from it. She was so quiet and had no fight in her. I think she had been fighting alot and was so tired. Foot was swollen. We rushed her to the vet. Had xray which came back as no broken bones but under her wings were badly bruised due to trying to get out the rope. Vet said a few days and she should be fine. She prescribed metacam twice a day. She eating drinking and pooping fine. Today she is really quiet and it's worrying me.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So on Friday I came home and my baby had got caught in a toy with her foot wrapped round rope and she was dangling from it. She was so quiet and had no fight in her. I think she had been fighting alot and was so tired. Foot was swollen. We rushed her to the vet. Had xray which came back as no broken bones but under her wings were badly bruised due to trying to get out the rope. Vet said a few days and she should be fine. She prescribed metacam twice a day. She eating drinking and pooping fine. Today she is really quiet and it's worrying me.
Poor thing is probably traumatized by her near death experience! Imagine dangling from a rope and struggling like mad until you lost your strength and just waited to die until finally rescued by your Mama! In the wild, this is the kind of event that kills birds and other animals every day. Give her some time to recover emotionally as well as physically and spoil her in every way she loves!

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I still feel traumatised too I was screaming so can only imagine how she feels. I have now placed cameras to keep an eye on her when out. No other toys in cage that that could happen again. I feel sick the thought of it 😓😓😓. Plenty attention as always and cuddles. I love her so so much and couldn't be without her ❤️

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I still feel traumatised too I was screaming so can only imagine how she feels. I have now placed cameras to keep an eye on her when out. No other toys in cage that that could happen again. I feel sick the thought of it 😓😓😓. Plenty attention as always and cuddles. I love her so so much and couldn't be without her ❤️
Just be happy she survived, forgive yourself and try not to think about it. When the thoughts enter your mind try to substitute good thoughts and images.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, she will be tied and slowly she will regain her strength and comfort.

If you took all the toys out, that was a mistake as the layout of her cage does count toward her over all comfort of her surroundings.

Take a long look at what she catch herself on and eliminate that specific point on the toy. In many cases it could be as simple as eliminating loose loops or strands.

Happy to hear she is recovering well.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
It was a thin lace she caught her foot on. I have kept all the thick roped toys in her cage and added few good wood ones to chew. She has loads of safe toys. But I am more careful what I choose now. She's very tired today otherwise fine.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
First, let me say, don't feel bad. There is no completely safe toy to give a macaw, or probably any bird. Pancho has several times got himself caught in toys to the point where I had to come over and free him. Their pursuit of something new and exciting makes them extremely challenging to keep occupied. Pancho constantly is looking for something to get into... something new. He can get extremely creative in figuring out a way to play with a toy that he hasn't done yet. Fighting a toy isnt out of the question. He has had bruises on his face from where he will fling a wood toy and "fight" it on its swing down. He loves to unscrew a nut from a screw or bolt. Have you tried those with your macaw yet?
And I'll bet he's just fine, probably just a little sore...maybe a touch scared or anxious. Nothing a little bit of time won't fix.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How is your baby doing today? I hope she's starting to get over her scare, poor baby.
The important thing is that you found her in time, and she will never forget that:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My baby's doing great thanks everyone for asking. I think she would live the screws and bolts toy I will have a look on amazon.
That's great news, thank you so much for the update:)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
First, let me say, don't feel bad. There is no completely safe toy to give a macaw, or probably any bird. Pancho has several times got himself caught in toys to the point where I had to come over and free him. Their pursuit of something new and exciting makes them extremely challenging to keep occupied. Pancho constantly is looking for something to get into... something new. He can get extremely creative in figuring out a way to play with a toy that he hasn't done yet. Fighting a toy isnt out of the question. He has had bruises on his face from where he will fling a wood toy and "fight" it on its swing down. He loves to unscrew a nut from a screw or bolt. Have you tried those with your macaw yet?
And I'll bet he's just fine, probably just a little sore...maybe a touch scared or anxious. Nothing a little bit of time won't fix.
Even my budgie plays really rough and beats up her toys and gets into everything. I must supervise out of cage time. Your girl will be fine. There are lots of safe, cheap "toys" in the hardware aisle at Home Depot or Lowes.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I live in Scotland. Could you send some links if the toys you recommend? Billie is putting her foot in her mouth alot she has done this before I am maybe being paranoid I don't know

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
These are the ones she has

Attachments

• 20230314_082142.jpg
    20230314_082142.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230314_082138.jpg
    20230314_082138.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230314_082135.jpg
    20230314_082135.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230314_082129.jpg
    20230314_082129.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 42
OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Here is a pic for her

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230314_084556_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230314_084556_Gallery.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 41

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I live in Scotland. Could you send some links if the toys you recommend? Billie is putting her foot in her mouth alot she has done this before I am maybe being paranoid I don't know
Does she have dry or flaky skin on her foot? Does she appear to be bothered when she's putting her foot in her mouth?

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
This is Pancho's favorite toy. Literally a chain that I put quick links and bolts and nuts on. Daily I have to pick the pieces up from the floor of his cage and put them back on the chain. Sometimes he will put them on the bars of his cage instead of dropping them to the bottom!

Attachments

• 20230314_071301.jpg
    20230314_071301.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 47

Most Reactions

Latest posts