Encouraging an Eclectus to talk

cytherian

Dec 29, 2020
Near NYC
Parrots
Eclectus
Judging from all I've witnessed thus far with the 3 Eclectus birds owned by my roommate, it seems that they've got a "window" for vocal conditioning. While the male & female have on occasion said "hello," it's quite rare. It's mostly just chirps & squawks from them. Despite all the talking my roommate gives to them, they really don't talk.

But... the juvenile is a totally different story. His name is Ranger. And he's the most vocal parrot I've ever met in person. Her owner talked to him extensively in his rearing phase. He has a really nice repertoire of things to say, plus he "experiments" with all kinds of vocalizations (changing phrases, shortening them, and a myriad of intonations). He also seems to come up with his own phrases. We're not sure what inspires that. Maybe the radio? He's a hoot!

One funny quality about him, is the landline phone. It's an AT&T model and it was set for a certain ringtone. Ranger heard it from his very early days. And it's one of his favorite sounds. He sometimes just makes the tone as if like a cat who purrs for self-soothing. And he's VERY good at it. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference from him and the actual phone! What I did to change things up was to put the ringtone on my cellphone. So now, I can "make it ring" at anytime. Ranger seems to enjoy it and is very responsive. I know I've had an influence as I've introduced shorter lengths of the ring, something the phone doesn't ever do. And now, when I enter the kitchen, sometimes he'll just make one quick 1/2 second ring. Then I'll respond. And then he'll answer with a longer tone. And we'll go back & forth for a while.

Ranger is so interactive that if you're in the kitchen and not responsive to his greetings, he'll often say "Hellooooo???!!!" Another funny thing, when you laugh at something he says, he'll sometimes laugh right back. It's hilarious. I have a recording of him and working to edit it down. I'll see if I can post it later on.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have only dealt with older Amazons and have found that they are very likely to commonly add words to their vocabulary. It simply comes down to contact call usage and zero expectations. Surprise, one day, they drop the word, phase, etc...

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
It might just be he is a talker and the others aren't, rather than it being his age. He might continue to pick things up throughout his life.

I have a mynah and the received wisdom is that they will only be able to say what they learn in the first 2 years of life, but I can't really imagine why that would be. My girl doesn't talk at all, but she's copied sounds my parrot makes who only arrived with us after my mynah was 3.

My Alexandrine has been with us for 4 years and goes though phases of picking up new phrases. In the last 3 months he's added 2 new ones, but before that he seemed to go at least 8 months or so without anything new. He also seems to forget his least favourite and can't say them even when prompted. "Good boy" has turned into his come-near-me-right-now-and-you're-leaving-with-fewer-fingers-than-you-started-with noise, which is both complex psychologically and confusing behaviourally!

Last edited:

reddfoxx79

Mar 4, 2021
Houston
Parrots
Fennel, Solomon Eclectus female (12/25/20)..... Lulu, Solomon Eclectus female (10/1/20)..... Vegas, Harlequin macaw (2/2/21)
How old is the juvenile that talks? I have a 7-month-old ekkie female who is not vocal, but when she says anything, it's a low squawk sound. The 3-month-old ekkie female squawks her vocalizations, too, however it's like they're broken into patterns with inflections (which sounds a lot more like language). I heard they don't really talk until closer to a year old, with some exceptions.

OP
cytherian

cytherian

Dec 29, 2020
Near NYC
Parrots
Eclectus
How old is the juvenile that talks? I have a 7-month-old ekkie female who is not vocal, but when she says anything, it's a low squawk sound. The 3-month-old ekkie female squawks her vocalizations, too, however it's like they're broken into patterns with inflections (which sounds a lot more like language). I heard they don't really talk until closer to a year old, with some exceptions.

He's just a little over 2 years now. He began to be talkative after the 1st year. Gradually, he keeps adding words/phrases or gets more proficient with certain ones he practices. He's highly attuned to his owner and will often talk when she enters the room. He's now doing it with me. He LOVES to engage with talk. It's pretty special.

One day I tried an experiment. I didn't talk back. And he kept at it...

(click, click, click)

"Hello, lovebug!"

"Hello, cutiepie!"

"Can I have a kiss, kiss?"
"Kiss, kiss." (kissing sounds)
"Kiss, kiss." (kissing sounds)

<silence>

Hello????????
HELLO!!!

<then I laughed>
"Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, hah!"
"Can I have a kiss, kiss?"