Encouraging breeding with dummy eggs?

Sunny Rio

Jan 19, 2023
I'm sure I read somewhere a dummy egg or three can encourage parrots to breed. But when I search about this, I find them only being used to prevent laying too many. Will these eggs encourage parrots to breed who are in love but not laying? If not, any other ideas? I've already been through things like nest boxes and diet.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm sure I read somewhere a dummy egg or three can encourage parrots to breed. But when I search about this, I find them only being used to prevent laying too many. Will these eggs encourage parrots to breed who are in love but not laying? If not, any other ideas? I've already been through things like nest boxes and diet.
I've used dummy eggs on quite a few occasions with chronic infertile egg layers as a preventative measure and for me it has worked extremely well. I've not heard of them being used to encourage laying, but perhaps someone else may have heard of it. In general though, as I'm sure you've read elsewhere, they're used to convince the hen that she already has a full clutch and doesn't need to lay more.

Having said that though, I am not a bird breeder so I'm not sure why your pair are not producing eggs - there may be dietary, fertility or environmental issues at play. If your parrots were hand-raised from an early age, perhaps they just don't have exposure to other parrots having laid eggs or parenting babies so they just may not know what to do. Hopefully someone with some breeding and raising experience will be able to offer you some assistance soon. And if your birds do ultimately produce some eggs, I wish you every success with them!

Last edited:
OP
S

Sunny Rio

Jan 19, 2023
Oh well, doesn't sound like the idea will help. I have lovebirds, cockatiels, rosellas, greys, and amazons. The greys love each other but don't have sex. The amazons, I think two are too old and two are too young. The lovebirds make many infertile eggs. The cockatiels are too young, the rosellas are too young. So it's the greys (cuddly tame) and lovebirds (non-tame) I'm concerned about.

Most Reactions