english budgies vs cockatiels

inquisitir

Mar 30, 2022
hi everyone! so i’m looking into getting a lil bird i’ve been doing tons of research. from what i have found so far, it seems like most people say that in general, cockatiels are much more people-oriented and are better “companion” birds than budgies. i also know that the english budgies are generally calmer/friendlier toward people than australian budgies. so, when it comes down to an english budgie vs a cockatiel, is the cockatiel still friendlier than the budgie? or are they more similar?

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
There really is no guaranteed answer simply because all birds, despite their general traits in regards to temperament, can be so unique and different according to personality.
Background also plays a crucial role in the birds life and it shapes who they are that day.
Cockatiels and budgies are similar yes. The cockatiel is usually known to be chill and calm than the very skittish budgie by nature.
However, both have potential to gain an immense amount of trust and make excellent companions overall.

OP
I

inquisitir

Mar 30, 2022
There really is no guaranteed answer simply because all birds, despite their general traits in regards to temperament, can be so unique and different according to personality.
Background also plays a crucial role in the birds life and it shapes who they are that day.
Cockatiels and budgies are similar yes. The cockatiel is usually known to be chill and calm than the very skittish budgie by nature.
However, both have potential to gain an immense amount of trust and make excellent companions overall.
yeah! I know each will have their own personality, i guess i’m more just wondering if i’m fighting against much greater odds if i’m trying to have a english budgie be on me/interacting with me all the time as compared to a cockatiel, if that makes sense.. i get i could get a cockatiel that is skittish as well, though. are english budgies ~theoretically~ significantly more friendly than australians, or is it a sort of minute difference?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to tge forums! English budgies fascinating to me as well, I think ( reading ( they are calmer and friendlier in general than regularbudgies.

I think you will really like a cockatiel. Especially if you get a well socialized weaned baby. You want it to step up on you when you meet and be interested in you. My friends is highly entertaining and sweet.

This is a great read and covers many things

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Welcome to the parrot forums!

Australian Budgies are very Not calm they are very social animals they are very active
they are so not calm but they are friendly that's from my experience with Australian Budgies
i have zero experience with English budgies

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, show budgies can be very sweet, but they often have health issues. My show budgie isn't good at flying, and she has breathing issues. Show budgies can have multiple other issues, such as neurological issues. They are also prone to depression/anxiety, respiratory illnesses, and breathing issues. So you'll need to be able to afford vet costs like that. Show budgies don't have very good genes due to inbreeding. Show budgies where bred for good looks, not good genes.

I once brought my show budgie, Sunny, to the vet for a breathing issue and diarrhea, and she said the breathing issue isn't an illness, it's just her not being able to breath that well.

That's my only con for owning show budgies, otherwise they can be the sweetest little birdies! For me, show budgies are slightly less skittish than normal budgies, so they can be a bit easier to tame, but taming can still be hard!

Cheers!

-Anè

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi, show budgies can be very sweet, but they often have health issues. My show budgie isn't good at flying, and she has breathing issues. Show budgies can have multiple other issues, such as neurological issues. They are also prone to depression/anxiety, respiratory illnesses, and breathing issues. So you'll need to be able to afford vet costs like that. Show budgies don't have very good genes due to inbreeding. Show budgies where bred for good looks, not good genes.

I once brought my show budgie, Sunny, to the vet for a breathing issue and diarrhea, and she said the breathing issue isn't an illness, it's just her not being able to breath that well.

That's my only con for owning show budgies, otherwise they can be the sweetest little birdies! For me, show budgies are slightly less skittish than normal budgies, so they can be a bit easier to tame, but taming can still be hard!

Cheers!

-Anè
Also, not to get into the adoption VS breeder debate, but try to adopt one rather than get it from a breeder, as I highly believe that ethical breeders won't breed show budgies as they are NOT ethical. If you really need to choose a breeder if rescues don't have a show budgie, make sure it is a reputable breeder. There are many threads on this forum talking about how to find a reputable breeder.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Just to add Australian Budgies are CRAZY like when i say crazy I MEAN SOOOOOOOOOOO CRAZY that's what also great about them it's fun just to watch your bird's craziness better then a tv show

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
the cockatiels that I owned were much more interested in being buddies with me than the budgies. I agree that budgies seem to be much more hyper and excitable. (Maybe kind of like I find Quakers calmer than greencheek conures?)

Most Reactions