Entertainment?

Lulu10766

Dec 29, 2022
Parrots
1 Parakeet
Hello! I recently got a little budgie, and Iā€™ve been trying to come up with ways to entertain him.
He doesnā€™t really enjoy playing with toys, and he isnā€™t destructive either. Iā€™ve given him several different types of toys- types with bells, others with string/yarn type material, wood-like material, and ones with thin stick-like material. Mostly, heā€™ll either jingle his bell when heā€™s in his cage, or heā€™ll nibble on the plastic
diamond-shaped piece attached to his swing. Iā€™ve tried making him toys out of paper and toilet paper rolls, placing millet inside of them, but he wouldnā€™t touch them.
What he does enjoy doing is sitting and looking outside the window, which heā€™s able to do whenever Iā€™m home, and he also likes to listen to music/watch videos. Doesnā€™t really provide him much exercise though, I know šŸ˜…. Iā€™m trying to teach him to eventually fly to my finger, to fly to his swing that I attach to my window, and also target training- I suppose Iā€™ll have to find a target first though haha. It keeps him entertained for a little while, and heā€™s pretty smart. Also, I discovered today that he enjoys to be pushed in his swingā€¦ or at least I believe he likes it. Like I said, I attach a swing to my window which he sits on, and Iā€™ll slowly pull it to the side before releasing it, letting it swing back and forth. When I do this, he never tries to fly off even when I give him plenty of opportunity and also saying ā€œ Do you wanna swing, Birdie? ā€œ as I very slowly lift it, just in case he wants to leave. He also puffs out his cheeks as it slowly swings, puffing them even more when it stops. One time he also puffed all his feathers out like he does whenever heā€™s very contentā€¦. So I think he does like it. Does it sound like he likes it?
Anyways, thatā€™s about what Iā€™ve figured out he enjoys doing. What do your birds enjoy doing?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My budgies loved toys made with paper cupcake holders! Super easy to make, and that was their favourite toy.

With you swinging him, it seems to me that if he didn't like it he would fly away:)

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your new baby so far!
Is his name Birdie?

OP
Lulu10766

Lulu10766

Dec 29, 2022
Parrots
1 Parakeet
My budgies loved toys made with paper cupcake holders! Super easy to make, and that was their favourite toy.

With you swinging him, it seems to me that if he didn't like it he would fly away:)

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with your new baby so far!
Is his name Birdie?
Thank you! Iā€™ll try the cupcake holders. How is it you made the toys? Did you wrap any treats in them? Yes, his name is Birdie. I know itā€™s not very creative šŸ˜‚. Originally, it was Sunny, but I just kept calling him Birdie so it stuck.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I just saw a photo online of a parrot foraging in an empty cardboard egg carton that had been filled with paper crinkles and food or toys buried in the crinkles.

All sorts of fun going on there! Just make sure thereā€™s no raw egg spilled on the egg carton bottom.

Most Reactions

Latest posts