Excited to be in this forum!

Rwatts01

Jul 24, 2020
South Central PA
Parrots
2 Black Capped Conures
1 Suncheek Conure
& Harlequin Macaw
Hello fellow parronts! Here is my intro!
We have a baby Harlequin coming home about Oct 16th. He was hatched on May 16th. We have been visiting him twice a week since the middle of August when he was able to come out of he “nursery” and be at the store. After a HUGE family debate/discussion, we have decided on Picasso for his name because he’s so colorful and a work of art! We’ll probably end up mostly addressing him as Pico. Picante (means spicy in Spanish... I used to be a Spanish teacher :)). We also have 3 Conures that each of my teenagers paid for on their own during the summer. They are all doing wonderfully with their Conures. We have 2 Black capped and a Suncheek.
Both my husband and I have Macaw experience. 20 years ago we were pretty much given a Scarlet from the store where my husband worked in his teens. The Scarlet had been at the store for almost 10 years and never got bought. He wasn’t stepping up to anyone except the store owner and he was cage aggressive. He remembered my husband though. So the store owner gave him to us so he could live in a home and not a store. After being with us for 4 years, he was so much better... ready to be a family bird, which worked out nicely because we had newborn twins and he wasn’t thrilled about it. We found him a great home and all these years he is still with them and happy. Then about 6 years later we fostered a Blue & Gold. I say fostered but it was more like a “rescue”. I saw him on Craigslist for sale and it was very close by so I went to see him out of curiosity. Well the bird was in a horrible situation, living in a cage in a deck. The family didn’t realize how big he would get and they were afraid of him. So, we kept the Blue & Gold for about 3 years. I had to go to work full time and The Blue & Gold was a great boy who was used to cats , dogs and kids. I didn’t want him to back slide when my time away from the house doubled. I worked with a rescue and he is in a wonderful home. We are still in touch with them. Fast forward about 5 years and I am able to work part time and my kids are older and excited about and able to help with our feathered family. Now we’re ready for our “forever” Macaw and are excited to be getting a baby! . I attached some pics.

Thank you for all the help and advice I know I’m going to get.

Rachel

Attachments

• 924DFFB5-EC8C-40DB-A727-7FC060CA0D06.jpg
    924DFFB5-EC8C-40DB-A727-7FC060CA0D06.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 077C07EE-5A5D-46FD-9830-3D8B5EB9FBAD.jpg
    077C07EE-5A5D-46FD-9830-3D8B5EB9FBAD.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 45DFD5AE-615F-4807-BBD0-925D660236D9.jpg
    45DFD5AE-615F-4807-BBD0-925D660236D9.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 72
  • A73FC456-A7E2-46E6-953E-7486FED02190.jpg
    A73FC456-A7E2-46E6-953E-7486FED02190.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 74

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Rachel, a warm welcome to you and your expanding flock! Thanks for a lovely introduction, you've paid forward considerably over the years.

Bet you're looking forward to Picasso/Pico in a few weeks. Looking forward to his unfolding story!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Picasso is a great name and I agree he is a work of art! Stunning.
The weaning stage is hugely important and can effect behavior for life. So make sure you wean by abundance, that comfort feedings might last till 12 months..

Do flight recall training as this is easiest at this age, and harness training.

Very exciting to have you and your flock join us.

Most Reactions

Latest posts