Experience raising 2 lovebird babys as a beginner with ParrotForums

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
help please.. I have a baby lovebird she is around 1 month old her name is kiko. she used to be very active but now she can't even flap her wings well. she lost her appetite. her poop is usually very healthy. she can't even walk well now :( what can cause this??

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
ahhhh, so sorry, very serious and scary.

This is something that needs immediate veterinarian care and help.

Support with baby bird formula , and warmth.
It needs to be an avian vet as well! I'm saying this because a lot people think dog/cat vets work fine for birds.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
YES! Everybody else said this, but GO TO YOUR AVIAN VET if you have ONE SINGLE MOMENT of worry with your bird!

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Thank you for caring about Kiko. she is doing much better now. she can cuddle/walk/play/ try to fly. Im guessing the amount of food wasn't enough. I gave her 4 ml in the morning and 5 ml afternoon..

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
she is active like she used to be now. there isn't any avian vet near by. so we couldn't go to the vet :(. but she is very active now. right now she is cuddling with kiwi they both are sleeping!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
she is active like she used to be now. there isn't any avian vet near by. so we couldn't go to the vet :(. but she is very active now. right now she is cuddling with kiwi they both are sleeping!
If there isn't an avian vet try to find an exotic vet that treats birds. It's not the best but it's better than a normal vet :)

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
She is back to normal. She really likes to stand on my shoulder lol

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
also yeah we are going to visit a vet. like a checkup on both of them

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
ok this is like a small update. She is like how she used to be! :D Kiwi likes to stand on my shoulder and cuddle with me and kiko likes to dance lol. Im feeding them 6ml 4 times a day. Morning (Around 6-7 am when they wakeup), then at 11-12pm,then at 3-4pm and then at 7-8 pm and then they go to sleep. my only question right now is they don't look like the babylovebirds in this video
. Kiwi and Kiko don't look furry like the ones in the video. Kiwi and kiko almost have to same colors of the baby's in the video!(Not my video I just saw it in yt). and we are going to get a cage for them what size do we get? idk because this is my first experience with lovebird babys. they both are cuddling with each other and they are sleeping lol. any replys will be appreciated
thanks!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
ok this is like a small update. She is like how she used to be! :D Kiwi likes to stand on my shoulder and cuddle with me and kiko likes to dance lol. Im feeding them 6ml 4 times a day. Morning (Around 6-7 am when they wakeup), then at 11-12pm,then at 3-4pm and then at 7-8 pm and then they go to sleep. my only question right now is they don't look like the babylovebirds in this video
. Kiwi and Kiko don't look furry like the ones in the video. Kiwi and kiko almost have to same colors of the baby's in the video!(Not my video I just saw it in yt). and we are going to get a cage for them what size do we get? idk because this is my first experience with lovebird babys. they both are cuddling with each other and they are sleeping lol. any replys will be appreciated
thanks!
Try to get the biggest cage possible. I recommend minimum for 3 lovebirds to be 45cm wide x 90cm tall x 75cm long. The cage will also need a lot of natural wood perches(make sure the wood is safe) and toys(make sure the toys are safe aswell! Avoid cotton, "tents(or any dark enclosed space)", painted toys, mirrors, bells etc. Try to avoid plastic as they can't really destroy them and have fun with it)

Also I suggest if there isn't an avian vet nearby that you don't breed any more birds/buy any more.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
okay tysm! Well there isn't a avian vet near by but Im searching for a vet. and yeah I don't want to breed/buy more birds because taking care of these 2 is itself hard lol. and I'm a beginner so yeah..I also saw Elleandthebirds' vid where she says not to buy tents as it can cause birds to die..Im gunna make sure I take good care of them. again tysm! and here are pics of them lol

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 1.49.39 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 1.49.39 PM (2).jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 104
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 1.49.39 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 1.49.39 PM (1).jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 102
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 1.49.39 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-11 at 1.49.39 PM.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 106

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Aww they're such cuties! I hope that they will have a great life with you! ☺️

If you feel comfortable sharing, where are you located? I can try to find an avian vet for you.

OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
I really dont know If I should reveal personal info. Im a minor. Before I do anything I should ask my parents lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I really dont know If I should reveal personal info. Im a minor. Before I do anything I should ask my parents lol.
That's ok! If you don't want to you don't have to. I'm also just a teenager :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'd mist them lightly with luke warm water and pat down . They look a bit dirty, easy for babies to get. But you want to keep feathers clean. Be careful with ear holes. Don't want crud getting in them. So feathers should be clean and covering ear holes.

Such little cuties

Weaning info

Good article on Weaning

Last edited:
OP
I

ini3vm

Feb 7, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Ohh. Okay. Ty for respecting my privacy lol. And thank you for the tips for bathing them. How often do I bath them? And is this the reason they don't look like the ones in the video? Oof. Okay will do they are sleeping right now gave them the formula 2 hours ago.. It's 8:56 pm here I'm heading to bed byee

Most Reactions

Latest posts