"Experience" with rosella Ogy - Confession, share experience, .. comments welcome

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
Hello everyone, after 9 months being in our home, and 10-20 days of being left in an open cage, today my Rosella Ogy "decided and tried" to come out, but it was a strange experience...

First let me say that we communicate "through a feather", that means with his small feathers, 2-3 cm, I stroke his wings and head, he is calm, cooperates, communicates. I moved my head 10-15 cm close to him, he doesn't run away, he makes sounds like he is caressing, ... but until today he didn't dare to come out..

Let's go back to today! He came out trying to escape from мy „teasing", filling scared and excited and pooping loudly like a crow. Once he started walking on the floor, hid behind the sofa, and when I went to him, I spoke to him gently, but he looked at me and screamed. He stopped in 2-3 places around the room, he was a little calm, but every movement screamed with fear. When he stood, according to him, "slightly hidden" with his feet on the side apron of the piano, I brought the cage in advance, set it up, and he went in on his own, without any disturbing activity on my part, such as grabbing. , stalking and harassment.

When I returned his cage to the stand and closed the door, I spoke to him gently, he looked at me and "answered" my every word, but in a "resigned and scared" tone, not like before. caressing.
It turns out that even though we leave the cage all day and he has no problem being close or getting his head and face in, Ogy doesn't want to leave his "comfort zone". Comment? Tips?

Attachments

• viber_image_2023-03-07_19-18-58-469.jpg
    viber_image_2023-03-07_19-18-58-469.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 34

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
The first time out is scary. Can I ask what you meant by teasing? Would that be touching him on his wings? I wouldn't do anything to force him to come out, he will eventually come out when he feels safe enough to do so.
With some birds, it's one step forward and two steps back.
But the patience you have, and respecting his space like you did with letting him get into the cage on his own will pay off.
You may have to start over by sitting by his cage and talking to him, depending on how scared he remains after today's adventure.

It sounds like he isn't getting hormonal from you touching the top of his wings, so that's good. I have a couple of birds that have no reaction to it, either.

OgY is gorgeous!

• Brilliant
Reactions: OgY
OP
OgY

OgY

Aug 1, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Eastern Rosella
The first time out is scary. Can I ask what you meant by teasing? Would that be touching him on his wings? I wouldn't do anything to force him to come out, he will eventually come out when he feels safe enough to do so.
With some birds, it's one step forward and two steps back.
But the patience you have, and respecting his space like you did with letting him get into the cage on his own will pay off.
You may have to start over by sitting by his cage and talking to him, depending on how scared he remains after today's adventure.

It sounds like he isn't getting hormonal from you touching the top of his wings, so that's good. I have a couple of birds that have no reaction to it, either.

OgY is gorgeous!
After he returned to the cage, I talked to him several times and was next to him with the cage door open, and he is already calm. Otherwise yes... I very gently touch his wings, beak and claws and talk to him briefly. He always receives it well. Probably after some time I'll have to leave the door again and wait... Thanks a lot for Your answer !

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
After he returned to the cage, I talked to him several times and was next to him with the cage door open, and he is already calm. Otherwise yes... I very gently touch his wings, beak and claws and talk to him briefly. He always receives it well. Probably after some time I'll have to leave the door again and wait... Thanks a lot for Your answer !
You're very welcome! You're doing all the right things and I feel sure that he'll eventually lose his fear of coming out of his cage. For me, there's no feeling like the one when a breakthrough happens after working so hard to get there.

Reactions: OgY

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello everyone, after 9 months being in our home, and 10-20 days of being left in an open cage, today my Rosella Ogy "decided and tried" to come out, but it was a strange experience...

First let me say that we communicate "through a feather", that means with his small feathers, 2-3 cm, I stroke his wings and head, he is calm, cooperates, communicates. I moved my head 10-15 cm close to him, he doesn't run away, he makes sounds like he is caressing, ... but until today he didn't dare to come out..

Let's go back to today! He came out trying to escape from мy „teasing", filling scared and excited and pooping loudly like a crow. Once he started walking on the floor, hid behind the sofa, and when I went to him, I spoke to him gently, but he looked at me and screamed. He stopped in 2-3 places around the room, he was a little calm, but every movement screamed with fear. When he stood, according to him, "slightly hidden" with his feet on the side apron of the piano, I brought the cage in advance, set it up, and he went in on his own, without any disturbing activity on my part, such as grabbing. , stalking and harassment.

When I returned his cage to the stand and closed the door, I spoke to him gently, he looked at me and "answered" my every word, but in a "resigned and scared" tone, not like before. caressing.
It turns out that even though we leave the cage all day and he has no problem being close or getting his head and face in, Ogy doesn't want to leave his "comfort zone". Comment? Tips?
He looks pretty happy and relaxed (and quite beautiful) sitting on top of that gold box.

Most Reactions

Latest posts