Extreme Biting

MilouTheLovebird

Aug 11, 2015
Parrots
I have a white lovebird that has grey spots on his neck named Milou
Last year, I got an 8 week old lovebird who has just turned 1. He was bought untamed and his biting has gone down a bit over time, but recently has stayed at a constant level. The real big problem is when he runs up my chest and bites my neck or ear, which brings me close to tears. He always flies off of his cage when I leave the cage door open and tries to look for me, but then when we're both perfectly calm, bam!!! he bites extremely hard leaves a small bite mark that goes away in like 2 days. I have no other birds yet so I don't know if he's just lonely or what, but someone please help because this is becoming a huge problem.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that your lovebird has decided to bite you :( I don't know much about lovebirds, but I'm bumping this thread for you in hopes that someone who knows will answer or redirect you to threads including a similar problem (on my phone at the moment).

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
In my experience, a shirt with a collar helps. I think, sometimes, they just want something to hold onto.

My lovebird also bites when she wants something. When she starts biting a little, I have learned to not to ignore her - her bites will get progressively worse.

Sometimes she wants food. Sometimes she wants a treat. Other times she want to be carried somewhere.

Most Reactions

Latest posts