Extreme guilt over IRN plucking

blajpar

Dec 1, 2019
Louisiana
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, 2 Indian Ringnecks, 2 Parakeets
I have a three year old IRN, his name is Scuttle, who has recently started plucking. He started about 2 months ago when I woke up one morning to find that he had plucked a bunch of feathers from his chest. I immediately took him to an avian vet for consultation and he confirmed that he did this to himself. There were no signs of distress coming up to this point and I was completely blind sided. I take him out for hours daily and give him a good mixed diet. His wings are not clipped and I let him fly around the whole time he is out but he prefers to hang out around me or on my shoulders. He is bonded to me and has no fear or aggression to me at all. After talking to the vet we theorized that it could be stemming from a sexual frustration of not having a mate since he was regurgitating on his toys and other things frequently. I have tried everything he suggested and more ranging from getting vitamins/calming solution to correcting his mating behavior but I cannot get him to stop plucking. I feel horrible. I always saw pictures of peoples parrots who were completely bald from plucking and always told myself that I wouldn't let that happen to my birds. After another trip to the vet a month later I talked to him again and he suggested putting a collar on him to try to break the cycle. However, I declined since he would have to get his wings clipped for his first time ever and I was worried about his quality of life. This morning while I had him out I saw him on top of my cabinets and I saw a sore on his wing and I think he starting chewing at his skin... I'm at my wits end and I think its to the point where I have to put the collar on him. I am extremely anxious and guilty about this because I know he will be absolutely MISERABLE with the collar on and he won't even be able to fly.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is anyone else here who has been in a similar situation? I'd like to hear from other IRN owners who have been in the same situation and if they got a collar put on their birds. Was their behavior changed or was their attitude impacted? Did it seem like a decent quality of life? The vet said ideally the cone will only have to be on for 6-8 months but if he goes back to picking at skin he may have to wear it for the rest of his life.

Thanks in advancer to anyone that replies!

Attachments

• Snapchat-1978356233.jpg
    Snapchat-1978356233.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20220414-100226_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220414-100226_Gallery.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 93

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello,
Please do not feel guilty! Plucking is a very complex issue. You are providing a wonderful life , and have consulted with an avian veterinarian. You are doing everything right.

I wish I had advice , but you've covered everything.

Heart to you

Lydia123

Mar 15, 2017
I bought a parrot poncho and it stopped the plucking completely Birdsupplies.com sell them. He couldn't pluck and he didn't.

OP
B

blajpar

Dec 1, 2019
Louisiana
Parrots
I bought a parrot poncho and it stopped the plucking completely Birdsupplies.com sell them. He couldn't pluck and he didn't.
Do you have a link to one good for indian ringnecks? I may be able to try that out

MrsMarvel09

Nov 9, 2021
I have a three year old IRN, his name is Scuttle, who has recently started plucking. He started about 2 months ago when I woke up one morning to find that he had plucked a bunch of feathers from his chest. I immediately took him to an avian vet for consultation and he confirmed that he did this to himself. There were no signs of distress coming up to this point and I was completely blind sided. I take him out for hours daily and give him a good mixed diet. His wings are not clipped and I let him fly around the whole time he is out but he prefers to hang out around me or on my shoulders. He is bonded to me and has no fear or aggression to me at all. After talking to the vet we theorized that it could be stemming from a sexual frustration of not having a mate since he was regurgitating on his toys and other things frequently. I have tried everything he suggested and more ranging from getting vitamins/calming solution to correcting his mating behavior but I cannot get him to stop plucking. I feel horrible. I always saw pictures of peoples parrots who were completely bald from plucking and always told myself that I wouldn't let that happen to my birds. After another trip to the vet a month later I talked to him again and he suggested putting a collar on him to try to break the cycle. However, I declined since he would have to get his wings clipped for his first time ever and I was worried about his quality of life. This morning while I had him out I saw him on top of my cabinets and I saw a sore on his wing and I think he starting chewing at his skin... I'm at my wits end and I think its to the point where I have to put the collar on him. I am extremely anxious and guilty about this because I know he will be absolutely MISERABLE with the collar on and he won't even be able to fly.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is anyone else here who has been in a similar situation? I'd like to hear from other IRN owners who have been in the same situation and if they got a collar put on their birds. Was their behavior changed or was their attitude impacted? Did it seem like a decent quality of life? The vet said ideally the cone will only have to be on for 6-8 months but if he goes back to picking at skin he may have to wear it for the rest of his life.

Thanks in advancer to anyone that replies!
Awww, please don't feel guilty although I'm sure it's hard not to. I've not had this and hope never to, (mine is only 4 mo old & still in a new to me stage) but your baby is beautiful & I've no doubt you'll get it worked out. He's definitely lucky to have such a wonderful & caring owner & you're doing what you need to do. Please do let us know how it all works out for you both. Wishing the best to you both!

MrsMarvel09

Nov 9, 2021
Awww, please don't feel guilty although I'm sure it's hard not to. I've not had this and hope never to, (mine is only 4 mo old & still in a new to me stage) but your baby is beautiful & I've no doubt you'll get it worked out. He's definitely lucky to have such a wonderful & caring owner & you're doing what you need to do. Please do let us know how it all works out for you both. Wishing the best to you both!
Btw, if it does happen with my Rukus, I'll do exactly what you're doing because I think all we can do is what you're doing hun 💙

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
There are some older posts on here somewhere ... one of our members, I think in Denmark, made little sweater vests for a plucking bird out of big socks. She could pull it over his head in one move, then pull one wing and then the other through the arm holes. A CAV (certified avian vet) should have good advice, and would have probably checked for mites, allergies, etc. Is there anything different in the environment? For example, in my area it's getting hot and the air conditioner is starting to run, which makes the inside air really dry. Also it's pollen season, and I think the birds definitely seem a bit allergic. Anything that makes the skin itchy or irritated could cause a bird to start plucking. I've read of people who kept spraying their bird's feathers with water, because the bird wouldn't pluck wet feathers, until the bare spots grew in - they took the bird to work so they could keep it wet! And it worked. Hopefully there is some small trick that will help. But if not, don't feel guilty. Birds are complex and intelligent and also instinct-driven, and we can't always know all the whats or whys. You are a loving parront.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I made sock sweaters for a cherry headed conure who was almost completely plucked naked. He didn’t like me putting the sweater on but once it was on he looked happier. Without the sweater he sat and shivered.

The sweater was made from a sock for a little girl. I know that I took it off him a couple of times a week for a bath and thorough dry. But I have seen much barer birds than yours and it’s summer now so maybe you don’t need that.

Cottonoid has a bare Indian Ringneck and she is trying a bunch of interventions with him. Cotton seems to be doing better in the last two months. Maybe you can check her threads?

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I feel your pain! My Peach Front Conure has started plucking and I am not sure why, though I suspect boredom. Makes me feel AWFUL, because it could be ME causing his unhappiness.

yashatheparakeet

Sep 24, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck parakeet
hi there! I am having the same issue with my IRN! My vet said this was due to sexual frustration. Did you manage to find any remedies? Or has it gotten worse?

OP
B

blajpar

Dec 1, 2019
Louisiana
Parrots
hi there! I am having the same issue with my IRN! My vet said this was due to sexual frustration. Did you manage to find any remedies? Or has it gotten worse?
Hi! Sorry to hear you're having the same issue :( It has progressed to the point where most of his body has his outer layer of feathers plucked (except for his wings) but he isn't pulling out his down feathers. I have tried a ton of different things but its hard to measure success since he doesn't really have any more outer feathers to pluck. Currently waiting for him to start his next molt to really see if he's doing better.

yashatheparakeet

Sep 24, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck parakeet
Hi! Sorry to hear you're having the same issue :( It has progressed to the point where most of his body has his outer layer of feathers plucked (except for his wings) but he isn't pulling out his down feathers. I have tried a ton of different things but its hard to measure success since he doesn't really have any more outer feathers to pluck. Currently waiting for him to start his next molt to really see if he's doing better.
thank you so much. My parrot is at the same point as well. Hopefully we see progress soon ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts