Ezekiel Bread?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Recently occurred to me, that Ezekiel Bread might be good food for birdies. It is made with sprouted grains and legumes. No additives, no preservatives. (Due to No Preservatives, it is stored in Freezer, until ready or close-to-ready to eat.)

Ingredients: Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt

https://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/ezekiel-49-sprouted-whole-grain-bread

I think Ezekiel Bread has to be at Least as good for birdies As Pellets. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this? I'm definitely Not taking Away the pellets --they do All eat them on the side, and I add them to their seedmixes also. But it seems like Ezekiel bread may be a good way to increase their percentage of pellet-type nutrition, and Sunny at least so far seems to enjoy it amazingly.

If nothing else, I feel sure it's better than some "birdie bread" mixes, which cost even $more & you must cook them yourself.

I have not had any Ezekiel Bread in my house since months Before I got Sunny. So, she has never seen nor tried it before. Often, if I Think she will like something, she might refuse. So I expected I might be wasting a few dollars on the Loaf. NOT so!

I took out a piece and defrosted in microwave. When I took it from micro, I could barely restrain her long enough to check it for temp-safety. The moment all-clear, she basically threw herself onto it.

It always puzzles me, how she seems to know with her Eyes that she Will or Will Not like something that she has Never Tried Before.

She started off just Eating the bread. Then as she got full-but-unwilling-to-stop, she went to demolishing it whilst still eating nibbles.

I had expected to need to eat some myself to pique her interest. Also NOt so. Instead, when she finally withdrew slightly, I broke off a small corner for myself, and got in return a conure-look of angry betrayal!

That was a Whole Slice of Ezekiel bread. Mostly what she didn't eat she demolished. There is a small portion left, which I've left on a plate atop cage, to see if the budgies might like it too.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you heat it to the point of it warming up, you are kind of killing the whole sprouted thing. There is salt etc added to it as well, which is why I would still use it as a treat and not as food..but as breads go, it's a good one for humans (for sure---potentially birds too).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Never heard of it. Is it like Hallejua hominy grits or St Pancreas pancakes? Methuselah mudpies? J/K - sounds good for people, the salt would give me caution.

OP
fiddlejen

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
OH I linked the wrong one. I actually got the low-sodium one. (NO salt added to it.) Ha I had just double checked on that - I think the lack of salt is why the one bite I deprived her of, tasted oddly bland.

I think the value of the sprouts is they have more nutrients, regardless whether heated or not. Toasting may take away some of the good sproutness (?maybe?) but I'm sure it can't kill the extra nutrients. But in this case, when I temp-checked it, it was actually Not heated, merely Defrosted.

Ezekiel bread has been around for a LONG time. In health food stores way back before grocery stores had even heard of "whole wheat" bread. When I was a kid, health food stores offered a sandwich made on Ezekiel bread, with Muester cheese and Lettuce and Alfalfa Sprouts, and a local seasoning blend which I cannot quite recall. I used to know how to make it. Mmm it was yummy.

It was only heated enough to defrost it. She does love it. Maybe serve only as a treat? Hm. I think it may become a very Regular occuring Treat. I kind of assume that, once she realizes she can have it often, she may not try to consume//destroy an entire piece every time. She was WAY more excited over this bread than she has been over any of the less-healthy human-food options she usually like to try for.

smwboxer

May 31, 2020
San Juan Cosala, MX
Parrots
Mealy Amazon - George
Double Yellowhead - Fred
Maximilian's Pionus - Pancho
Blue Ringneck - Kramer
Military Macaw - Abulardo
Red-Lored Amazon - Lucy
My Amazon is not feeling well and on amoxicillin. Was worried about her not eating enough so got her some Ezekiel and she is chowing it down. Will be keeping a loaf in the freezer for now on as a treat.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have used Ezekiel in the past as occasional treat. Generally give my flock a bit of whole grain bread weekly and they especially enjoy seeds and bits of nuts. So I'd recommend in moderation without hesitation!

Doston

Sep 26, 2020
OC
Parrots
Princess Parrot
I've been letting my birds have Ezekiel bread for an hour or so a couple times per week. They freaking love it. I mean they get all excited and greedy to eat it. I see nothing wrong with it in moderation. After they've had a go at it for a while though, I do take it away. They'd eat a whole loaf otherwise lol What they also love is their organic kitty grass from whole foods. If I'm not mistaken, parakeets forage in grass in the wild. It cannot be bad for them and they get so excited to eat it. They eat the seeds at the bottom of the grass but also the grass itself. Their little beaks are forever green. Each day though you should trim the grass. When you trim it, they get all excited to eat it again. Must be the smell of cut grass. Ugh gawd I love my birds!

Attachments

• DB4B50BB-F498-475E-BD51-61BAC0B1C745.jpeg
    DB4B50BB-F498-475E-BD51-61BAC0B1C745.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 108

Most Reactions

Latest posts