Φάρμακα και προληπτικές αγωγές

Nopi13

Mar 10, 2021
Φάρμακα και προληπτικές αγωγές

Γειά σε όλους! Θα ήθελα να μοιραστώ μαζί σας την ανησυχία μου κι όσοι έχετε κάποιες γνώσεις να μου προσφέρετε τα φώτα σας [emoji16] εχω ένα κοκατιλ 1μιση χρόνο. Είχε αρρωστήσει μέσα στο πρώτο 6μηνο και ο κτηνίατρος μου είχε δώσει αντιβίωση για ψυττακωση την οποία μου είχε πει να την κάνω 40 μέρες. Για να μην πολυλογώ έγινε καλά. Αλλά ο κτηνίατρος μου έδωσε κι άλλα φαρμακα και μου είπε για πρόληψη κάθε κάποιο διάστημα να του τα κάνω όλα. Αγωγή για ψυττακωση, αγωγή για σκουλικι, αγωγή για λοιμωξεις, φάρμακο για ψείρες.
Ο προβληματισμος μου είναι ο εξής, είναι σωστό να επιβαρύνω τον παπαγάλο με τόσα φάρμακα κάθε 3 και λίγο χωρίς λόγο? Εσείς κάνετε προληπτικά τέτοιες θεραπείες?
Να τονίσω ότι ο γιατρός ήταν κτηνίατρος και όχι πτηνιατρος.

Στάλθηκε από το STK-LX1 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Re: Φάρμακα και προληπτικές αγωγές

Translation:

Hello everyone! I would like to share with you my concern, and those of you who have some knowledge of offering me their lights have a year and a half of cokatil. He had fallen ill in the first six months and the vet had given me antibiotics for the psychosis he had told me to do for 40 days. Not to mention it's okay. But the vet gave me more medication and told me it prevented him from doing everything to him from time to time. Treatment for psychosis, worm treatment, treatment for infections, medicine for lice.
My concern is this, is it right to carry the parrot with so many drugs every 3 and a little for no reason? Do you do these types of treatments pre-emptively?
Let me stress that the doctor was a veterinarian, not a bird doctor.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

It is difficult to second guess what a Vet has prescribed.

Commonly, Parrots are not provided 'preventative' medication unless those illness(s) are common in your area!

Welcome to Parrot Forum!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty

Παρακαλούμε δείτε έναν πιστοποιημένο κτηνίατρο των πτηνών, όχι ένα κανονικό, τα πουλιά είναι ένας εξειδικευμένος τομέας της ιατρικής και οι ειδικοί για σκύλους και γάτες ΔΕΝ γνωρίζουν πολλούς παπαγάλους.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Translation:

Please see a certified bird veterinarian, not a normal one, birds are a specialized field of medicine and experts on dogs and cats do NOT know many parrots.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Re: Φάρμακα και προληπτικές αγωγές / Medications and Preventive Treatments

Παρακαλούμε δείτε έναν πιστοποιημένο κτηνίατρο των πτηνών, όχι ένα κανονικό, τα πουλιά είναι ένας εξειδικευμένος τομέας της ιατρικής και οι ειδικοί για σκύλους και γάτες ΔΕΝ γνωρίζουν πολλούς παπαγάλους.

Translation:

Please see a certified bird veterinarian, not a normal one, birds are a specialized field of medicine and experts on dogs and cats do NOT know many parrots.

Ίσως υπάρχει ζήτημα διαθεσιμότητας.
Translation: Perhaps there is an issue of availability.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

I think you might be treating for psittacosis, or i just call chlamydia. It does take 40-45 days of doxycycline to clear this infection. Its a pretty common infection. I myself am treating 7 bird flock for it right now.

You can have relapse as well.

Everything must be cleaned everyday, to try and prevent re-infection

In America its very very rare to have lice. And not common to have internal parasites.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

I don't know if this translation is correct...but I will try"

Greek-
Αγγλικά-Τι φάρμακο παίρνει για ψύχωση; Ποιες ιατρικές εξετάσεις πραγματοποιήθηκαν από τον κτηνίατρο;

English-What medication is he taking for psychosis? What medical tests were conducted by the vet?

OP
N

Nopi13

Mar 10, 2021

I don't know if this translation is correct...but I will try"

Greek-
Αγγλικά-Τι φάρμακο παίρνει για ψύχωση; Ποιες ιατρικές εξετάσεις πραγματοποιήθηκαν από τον κτηνίατρο;

English-What medication is he taking for psychosis? What medical tests were conducted by the vet?
I can speak English. I just thought that this was a Greek forum that's why I wrote in Greek haha. Well, unfortunately the vet didn't make any medical tests. He just saw his poops and guessed the decease, something that was completely wrong. But in my town we don't have any birddoctor so I chose to trust him. My question is why should I give all those meds for all these deceases every 6 months to my parrot? Is it right to give him meds for prevention even if he is healthy?

OP
N

Nopi13

Mar 10, 2021
Re: Φάρμακα και προληπτικές αγωγές / Medications and Preventive Treatments

Translation:

Ίσως υπάρχει ζήτημα διαθεσιμότητας.

Translation: Perhaps there is an issue of availability.
Yeah I know but in my town we don't have a doctor special for birds. My parrot is healthy now but I wonder if I have to give him meds for prevention every 6 months just like the vet told me or if I have to stop meds.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

The care of Avian (birds) is different than for dogs and cats! It is very common for dogs and cats to be provided preemptive medication. That approach is Not Common with Parrots!

The correct method is viewing full-spectrum blood test that defines if there is an illness. In addition to blood, Parrot poop is also tested as part of a gram stain.

Another source of a Vet that maybe better at working with Parrots is a 'Large Animal Vet' also known as a Farm Animal Vet. This based on the wide cross-section of creatures found on the farm.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

No you do not have to give meds every six months to prevent worms or lice. Only treat if your bird has them. Its pretty rare for them to have parasites. In the states its almost unheard of.

If your bird has psittacosis, you will have to treat for 41 days.

Can you share a poop picture? And a picture of your burd?

Click go advanced under text box, choose paperclip, then choose picture, hit upload on far right , when loaded close window and post. Picture attache as thumbnail.

OP
N

Nopi13

Mar 10, 2021

No you do not have to give meds every six months to prevent worms or lice. Only treat if your bird has them. Its pretty rare for them to have parasites. In the states its almost unheard of.

If your bird has psittacosis, you will have to treat for 41 days.

Can you share a poop picture? And a picture of your burd?

Click go advanced under text box, choose paperclip, then choose picture, hit upload on far right , when loaded close window and post. Picture attache as thumbnail.
My parrot now is completely healthy so I guess a picture of his poop is useless. I'm just wondering about the prevention with meds that doctor said me I have to do.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Φάρμακα και προληπτικές αγωγές / Medications and Preventive Treatments

I have to give him meds for prevention every 6 months just like the vet told me or if I have to stop meds.
I'm just wondering about the prevention with meds that doctor said me I have to do.

Another consideration to the existing responses on the topic is the long term side effects the medications could have from the prolonged treatment.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

So you treated the psittacosis for 40 days?

A great way to stay on top of health issues, is to weigh your bird weekly. Most of us use a digital kitchen scale set to grams. Birds hide being sick until they can't any longer or die.
3-5% weight-loss get in to the veterinarian, mire than 5% weight-loss you have a very sick bird even if no other symptoms. % weight-loss is calculated by taking the number of grams lost ÷ by normal weight × 100 = % lost.

As my birds had dramatic weight-loss in a week, even tho eating great, I recommend weigh the bird weekly.

I hope you stick around, great group of bird lovers here, lots of tips you can pick up. You can share a happy picture of your bird for fun.

If you don't offer veggies, sprouts, leafy greens, cooked legume, and cooked lentils , and rare fruits. I suggest you start. Really keeps them healthy and happy.

OP
N

Nopi13

Mar 10, 2021

A great way to stay on top of health issues, is to weigh your bird weekly. Most of us use a digital kitchen scale set to grams. Birds hide being sick until they can't any longer or die.
3-5% weight-loss get in to the veterinarian, mire than 5% weight-loss you have a very sick bird even if no other symptoms. % weight-loss is calculated by taking the number of grams lost ÷ by normal weight × 100 = % lost.

As my birds had dramatic weight-loss in a week, even tho eating great, I recommend weigh the bird weekly.

I hope you stick around, great group of bird lovers here, lots of tips you can pick up. You can share a happy picture of your bird for fun.

If you don't offer veggies, sprouts, leafy greens, cooked legume, and cooked lentils , and rare fruits. I suggest you start. Really keeps them healthy and happy.
The truth is that he don't want to eat vegetables. He eats only seeds. I tried to feed him vegetables with different ways but he don't want to eat them. My parrot weighs 90 grams.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

cockatiels will usually nibble on a leaf of romaine or Swiss chard, they actually have lots of vitamins in them. Peppers seeds included are usually well liked.

Soaking and sprouting seeds, really can change them and release nutrients. Read up and offer them.

Its very much worth getting them to try and eat some veggies . A seed only diet is not nutritionally complete. Very low in key vitamins like vitamin A.

Try cooked carrots, cooked sweet potatoes, cooked butternut squash, or pumpkin they are all great for vitamin A as are peppers and even romaine lettuce.

Try wide shallow dish, weave in cage bars, use a stainless steel bird kabob. Offer outside of the cage. Different tricks in how you might help

Read thus article, even has a picture of a cockatiel eating chop!!!
http://lovinglifefromscratch.blogspot.com/2013/07/chop-all-things-good-for-birdie.html?m=1

This thread we talk veggies too
http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/89178-morning-chop-size-food-new-conure-owner.html

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?

Keep presenting the veg/fruit-- it took mine over a year to try spinach and a lot was wasted-- then one magical day, she just started eating it. Also, experiment with different textures (raw (when safe), steamed, baked etc).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

The truth is that he don't want to eat vegetables. He eats only seeds. I tried to feed him vegetables with different ways but he don't want to eat them. My parrot weighs 90 grams.

You may find some help here: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

My favorite technique for introducing veggies/fruits is to prepare identical bowls of food. Give one to your cockatiel, begin eating from the other. Make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head in delight. Parrots are flock eaters and you are a "member" of the flock!

Most Reactions