Facial feather loss?!

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I am not liking what I am seeing, at all. And my vet will not call back! First the crystals in the feces, and now she is losing feathers on her face.
IMG_7342.jpeg
IMG_7341.jpeg

Sheā€™s also got a little bald spot on the back of her head. I donā€™t know what is going on, but Iā€™m starting to freak out here. What could this be, and what could be causing it?! I changed the paper in her cage two days ago and there are feathers EVERYWHERE. Maybe more than a moult.

No coughing, wheezing, tail bobbing, mucus in the nose or eyes, her appetite is normal, she has access to clean water, vent is clean and fine, she vocalizes normally, flies around, plays with toys, explores, and behaves like a normal budgie. Her only symptoms are crystals in her feces and now feather loss of her head.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
It looks like in the first picture there are definitely little pin feathers coming in. Iā€™ve had budgies who molt so that you can hardly tell and other ones that definitely get patchy and scruffy looking. Each bird has their own way of doing things. As long as there are pin feathers coming in where she is losing feathers, it should be ok.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
It looks like in the first picture there are definitely little pin feathers coming in. Iā€™ve had budgies who molt so that you can hardly tell and other ones that definitely get patchy and scruffy looking. Each bird has their own way of doing things. As long as there are pin feathers coming in where she is losing feathers, it should be ok.
I donā€™t see those pinnies and the skin feels normal- like no pins. I called the vet and they STILL havenā€™t responded.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am not liking what I am seeing, at all. And my vet will not call back! First the crystals in the feces, and now she is losing feathers on her face. View attachment 55693View attachment 55694

Sheā€™s also got a little bald spot on the back of her head. I donā€™t know what is going on, but Iā€™m starting to freak out here. What could this be, and what could be causing it?! I changed the paper in her cage two days ago and there are feathers EVERYWHERE. Maybe more than a moult.

No coughing, wheezing, tail bobbing, mucus in the nose or eyes, her appetite is normal, she has access to clean water, vent is clean and fine, she vocalizes normally, flies around, plays with toys, explores, and behaves like a normal budgie. Her only symptoms are crystals in her feces and now feather loss of her head.
Can't you just make an appointment with the vet and bring her in?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Can't you just make an appointment with the vet and bring her in?
they will not return my calls or anything! When I first called about the crystals in her urates, I called three times over a span of three days before giving up. they never returned my calls then, and they certainly arenā€™t right now.

We have another avian vet in the area, but it is an emergency clinic and itā€™s a few hundred dollars just to ENTER THE BUILDING.

And our old vet had a history of mistreatment of animals, and they donā€™t have any avian vets on their team- not that Iā€™d trust them if they did, given their reputation.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Is little cricket itching around often? my Lovebird snowii also had this type of feather loss, which was hypovitaminosis a. It causes severe feather loss. but it is better to check her into the vet for the most part. Maybe contact a vet online, and send him/her pictures of the condition?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
they will not return my calls or anything! When I first called about the crystals in her urates, I called three times over a span of three days before giving up. they never returned my calls then, and they certainly arenā€™t right now.

We have another avian vet in the area, but it is an emergency clinic and itā€™s a few hundred dollars just to ENTER THE BUILDING.

And our old vet had a history of mistreatment of animals, and they donā€™t have any avian vets on their team- not that Iā€™d trust them if they did, given their reputation.
I've been doing some online research on parrot poop normal vs abnormal and learned that the white portion of parrot poop is composed of urate crystals which can look shimmery after the parrot poops them out. Since all components of parrot poop are discharged out of the same opening some of these urates can easily get mixed together into the liquid urine component (mostly excess water). I don't think little Cricket is sick with kidney disease or gout because those normally only affect much older birds. I realize I'm not an expert on parrot poop but I was a medical lab scientist in my early professional life and have a lot of education and experience analyzing human urine which also can contain urate crystals when healthy, especially after the urine cools to room temperature, because they are less soluble in lower temps and can precipitate out. The pH of the urine also affects the solubility of the urates.

I hope your vet calls you back. I understand how difficult it is to find an available avian vet in a mostly rural state.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I've been doing some online research on parrot poop normal vs abnormal and learned that the white portion of parrot poop is composed of urate crystals which can look shimmery after the parrot poops them out. Since all components of parrot poop are discharged out of the same opening some of these urates can easily get mixed together into the liquid urine component (mostly excess water). I don't think little Cricket is sick with kidney disease or gout because those normally only affect much older birds. I realize I'm not an expert on parrot poop but I was a medical lab scientist in my early professional life and have a lot of education and experience analyzing human urine which also can contain urate crystals when healthy, especially after the urine cools to room temperature, because they are less soluble in lower temps and can precipitate out. The pH of the urine also affects the solubility of the urates.

I hope your vet calls you back. I understand how difficult it is to find an available avian vet in a mostly rural state.
It also seems to be in the urine as well? Like it appears a lot more on the watery poops, and itā€™s gritty, and some of it is black now? Like, it looks like someone sprinkled some salt and pepper on it. Iā€™ve never seen this in any of the birds Iā€™ve had prior to cricket. I do hope my vet calls back as well. Itā€™s not like theyā€™re off work or closed when I call, either. Super frustrating.

Most Reactions

Latest posts