Feather Boa's for pluckers?

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Sooo, this evening I stopped by the pet store to pick up a few new toys for DeRita's stand and cage and I got to talking to one of the long time employee's there.

I told her about how I acquired DeRita and what a joy she is...but I was looking for toys and items that would discourage plucking as she is naked except for her wings and head.

She said her Mother often rescues parrots and over the years has taken in several pluckers and she uses feather boa's to distract them from plucking, they can preen and pluck the feathers off the boa and that all of the pluckers she had taken in had stopped plucking using the feather boa's.

Has anyone heard of this before? I didn't think to ask where her mother got the feather boa's, if she made them herself or what.

I did a quick search online and the only thing I came up with was not to let your parrot play with feathers because it actually encouraged her parrot to pluck. (don't know if I believe that)

Anyway, I was thinking more of the dyes used with the feathers? Safe? Not safe?

I did buy a bunch of shredding and foraging toys that I can stuff with treats, hoping to encourage DeRita to occupy herself with foraging instead of plucking.

Tomorrows vet appointment should rule out any medical conditions/reasons for plucking. Therefore, I'm sure it's down to her emotional well being.

She is beautiful to me, naked or feathered...but for her sake...i'd sure love to see her blossom out.

Any opinions on the feather boa idea?

Thanks!

Toni

P.S. FINALLY I got myself a super duper cuddle bug! If she could melt into my shoulder, she would!

nakiska-albums-our-birds-picture15322-img-20150912-162951.jpg

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Have you read some of Riddick07 posts? Folger, her little plucker has a little fleece collar. It is like little strips of fleece all the way around. Not only does it make a good fashion statement, but I think it helps her stop plucking and she can preen it.

Here is a thread of videos of Folger with his collar. http://www.parrotforums.com/cockatoos/46774-folger-boy.html

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
If you were to get a feather boa for de rita i would make sure that they are real feathers and that the center of it is not a synthetic fiber as she may ingest this and get sick :( . Also a nasty adhesive may be used to stick the feathers onto the core of the feather boa. If you manage to find one to those specifications i think it would be a great idea to stop her plucking. Anyway she looks beautiful and i hope you are well!. :D

btw do you know if she will have her beautiful feathers grow back?.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, please do NOT ever use a feather boa due to the dyes.

MSBS offers a huge variety of safe toys for pluckers/over preeners: PLUCKERS/OVERPREENERS

Have you seen DeRita pluck since she's been with you? As long as she didn't damage her follicles beneath her skin, her feathers should regrow. :)

OP
Nakiska

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Hi all...yes my concern was the dyes more than anything which is why I came to this wonderful forum to get others opinions. :)

williamkenyon I am taking DeRita to the vet today to get a check up and perhaps he will be able to tell me if there is hope for feather regrowth.

jerseywendy I have not actively seen her pluck and don't see any new feathers on her cage bottom, but aside from her head and wings...she is completely naked. She seems to have real fine down, looks like hair, sparcely growing in on her stomach area so I am hopeful.

mimsy01 Thanks for the videos, no I hadn't seen Riddick07 posts regarding this Too. I love the fleece collar idea. Don't know how DeRita would like it, but I may try something like that.

I did buy a bunch of different toys last night and the ones I could stuff with treats, I did. When I get home later, I will be able to see if she attempted to play with them. I also picked up as much shredding toys as I could afford to go along with the ones I make her.

She came with a big manzanita branch?? Floor stand on wheels. I am having a blast making it into an interactive, foraging play gym....hopefully she will be tooo busy having fun on it to think about climbing down onto the floor and exploring the dark corners of the house.

Silly girl!

Just like a 2 or 3 year old...when suddenly she becomes very quiet when I'm out of her sight, I know it means she is probably getting herself into "trouble" hahaha!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You can get the plain white feather boas, that are not dyed, and I've done that one with toos... You're better off using molted feathers, and turning a bunch of those into a toy.

It all depends on when you see the bird chewing on himself, divert his attention to the feather toy, and get him obscessing over that.

Unfortunately, all things plucking are difficult to modify.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I did not know that. I have used those before.

Which goes back to my original answer, you're better off using molted feathers, from the same bird if possible.

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
Foraging and shredding are great things for pluckers (feather boas are not safe molted feather toys could work though). Anything she can shred like palm shredders, paper, and cardboard boxes are great. Just keep an eye on her and make sure she isn't displaying any nesting behavior. Most importantly: she needs a good diet and lots of love!

Most Reactions

Latest posts