Feather plucking

TGPGAMING619

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I am going to go on vacation for 1 and a half months in the summer. I cant take my parrot with me so I'll leave it at my friends house.
I was wondering if this will trigger feather plucking or not. My friend has 4 budgies of his own.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am going to go on vacation for 1 and a half months in the summer. I cant take my parrot with me so I'll leave it at my friends house.
I was wondering if this will trigger feather plucking or not. My friend has 4 budgies of his own.
Hi, I think it's best you leave him with your friend until you return.

Whether he will pluck because of it or not depends on the bird itself. Is he bonded to you or not really? Some birds deal with it fine, others not.

Just make sure your friend gives him a lot of free time and enrichment :)

OP
T

TGPGAMING619

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck

Whether he will pluck because of it or not depends on the bird itself. Is he bonded to you or not really? Some birds deal with it fine, others not.

It's been 4 weeks since I bought him. He isn't bonded yet but by the time I go he probably will be

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
It's been 4 weeks since I bought him. He isn't bonded yet but by the time I go he probably will be
I'm assuming you're in the northern hemisphere as here in South Africa(Southern hemisphere) it is still autumn.

In how long are you going? Just wondering, as some birds take a few days to a few months to tame, and others can take years, some don't even become tame! (usually finches/canaries and some small parakeets such as budgies)

OP
T

TGPGAMING619

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I'm assuming you're in the northern hemisphere as here in South Africa(Southern hemisphere) it is still autumn.

In how long are you going? Just wondering, as some birds take a few days to a few months to tame, and others can take years, some don't even become tame! (usually finches/canaries and some small parakeets such as budgies)
Middle east
I will go at the start of July to mid August

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I am going to go on vacation for 1 and a half months in the summe
Hope you have a fantastic trip!
And
Hope your bird doesn't pluck when you are on your vacation!
Hope everything goes well!

OP
T

TGPGAMING619

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck

By enrichment what do u mean?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
By enrichment what do u mean?
Enrichment means stuff that he can chew on, destroy, etc, and keep himself mentally stimulated. It's important for birds, regardless if you're going on vacation or not.

A bored bird becomes depressed and may start plucking.

You can easily provide enrichment by adding natural branches(see post in other thread) or DIY toys.

Here are some ideas:

Most Reactions

Latest posts