Feather question

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Hey everyone. My green cheeks conure feather have black tips on them. His diet consists of tops and tropican pellets,chop(different variety every week), ocassional fruit,seeds for training,and grains and legumes. He does get a hard boiled egg once I awhile but usually if he is moulting. He always has fresh water available. He is one and a half years old. It could be from him just being rough in his feathers he does rub against his cage bars. And he cuddle into my hand could that be why? Maybe because he so rough on his feathers? I asked my vet they said it may just be navies he is begging to molt. They said it was normomal unless he shows signs of illness to bring him in. Thanks!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey everyone. My green cheeks conure feather have black tips on them. His diet consists of tops and tropican pellets,chop(different variety every week), ocassional fruit,seeds for training,and grains and legumes. He does get a hard boiled egg once I awhile but usually if he is moulting. He always has fresh water available. He is one and a half years old. It could be from him just being rough in his feathers he does rub against his cage bars. And he cuddle into my hand could that be why? Maybe because he so rough on his feathers? I asked my vet they said it may just be navies he is begging to molt. They said it was normomal unless he shows signs of illness to bring him in. Thanks!
Could you post a pic of the feathers? Young birds tend to be quite rough with their feathers, especially GCC, but that would usually just cause fraying not color change.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Could you post a pic of the feathers? Young birds tend to be quite rough with their feathers, especially GCC, but that would usually just cause fraying not color change.
Sure! You can see it from the side a little I donā€™t have a great picture of it lol!

Attachments

• BCBC2E37-D804-4947-AF86-7124D7EF2CF0.jpeg
    BCBC2E37-D804-4947-AF86-7124D7EF2CF0.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 75

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
It could possibly be stress bars, the pic makes it hard to tell. When I first got my GCC he had stress bars from improper care and a scary pet store enviornment. They don't necessarily come from stress though, they can happen if a feather was hit or damaged while developing. Young GCC would be really susceptible to this.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
It could possibly be stress bars, the pic makes it hard to tell. When I first got my GCC he had stress bars from improper care and a scary pet store enviornment. They don't necessarily come from stress though, they can happen if a feather was hit or damaged while developing. Young GCC would be really susceptible to this.
Ok! His environment is calm so I donā€™t think it is that and he has tons of enrichment. His cage is changed out lots. He has a flight cage. He is always showing signs of a content happy bird. You know what Iā€™ll do I will check with my vet on Monday when I go and see what they think again. Other than that he is healthy. His weight is 59 grams and has not changed that weight since he was small. Maybe because he is getting close to a molt his feather have come to their end of life and are just going to come out green next time. I hope so! It may just be babies he is rough on them too. But Iā€™ll see thanks for the reply!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ok! His environment is calm so I donā€™t think it is that and he has tons of enrichment. His cage is changed out lots. He has a flight cage. He is always showing signs of a content happy bird. You know what Iā€™ll do I will check with my vet on Monday when I go and see what they think again. Other than that he is healthy. His weight is 59 grams and has not changed that weight since he was small. Maybe because he is getting close to a molt his feather have come to their end of life and are just going to come out green next time. I hope so! It may just be babies he is rough on them too. But Iā€™ll see thanks for the reply!
Oh, I wasn't saying he was in a stressful enviornment or anything, he sounds like he has a lovely life :giggle: Wow! 59 grams! That's so small!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
59 is definitely below normal range, tho individuals of smaller than normal size it could be normal for them.

I'm not great at keel feeling to determine healthy for them weight. I can only tell when to bony extra thin, or can't feel extra fat. But that's something the avian vet should be good at.

I see him napping, does he take several naps during the day or after minor activities? That can indicate an issue.

Years ago my GCC was mildly off....and taking 2 extra naps than her normal. I didn't know her normal weight at that time as I had never weighed her before. I took her to the avian vet, her weight was 64g , and she was diagnosed later ( by a second avian vet...long story) as have yeast overgrowth. Was easily and cheaply treated and recovered in 10 days. To her what I know normal weight of 74 grams!!! Throughout all the years since that is her normal weight. It only drops with health issues.

I don't remember but do you feed zoopreem as primary diet? I ask because other posters and myself have experienced low weight and feather issues with zoooreem fruity. I think might be low on essential fatty acids.....
2 of my burds( different places) came to me on zoopreeem only diet both were low weight with dull feathers. Both improve and gained weight with additional pellets brands added and veggies ect added. I still feed zoopreem as my parrots like and eat it but never as tgeir sole diet.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
No,no! Donā€™t be sorry didnā€™t want to come off that way. šŸ˜
59 is definitely below normal range, tho individuals of smaller than normal size it could be normal for them.

I'm not great at keel feeling to determine healthy for them weight. I can only tell when to bony extra thin, or can't feel extra fat. But that's something the avian vet should be good at.

I see him napping, does he take several naps during the day or after minor activities? That can indicate an issue.

Years ago my GCC was mildly off....and taking 2 extra naps than her normal. I didn't know her normal weight at that time as I had never weighed her before. I took her to the avian vet, her weight was 64g , and she was diagnosed later ( by a second avian vet...long story) as have yeast overgrowth. Was easily and cheaply treated and recovered in 10 days. To her what I know normal weight of 74 grams!!! Throughout all the years since that is her normal weight. It only drops with health issues.

I don't remember but do you feed zoopreem as primary diet? I ask because other posters and myself have experienced low weight and feather issues with zoooreem fruity. I think might be low on essential fatty acids.....
2 of my burds( different places) came to me on zoopreeem only diet both were low weight with dull feathers. Both improve and gained weight with additional pellets brands added and veggies ect added. I still feed zoopreem as my parrots like and eat it but never as tgeir sole diet.
Thanks for the reply! My vet said he was a good weight. He is on tropican and tops pellets. He doesnā€™t nap a lot. He always running flying and doing tricks he is active. I was told he is just a smaller weight.

Last edited:
OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Hey everyone sorry for the late update we went to the vet and he said he looks happy and healthy. They felt his keel bone and he said it feels good. He has grown a gram since last times checkup. He also weighed him and said he is a perfect weight just a petite bird. Thanks for everyoneā€™s input!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
hi, I know he just saw the vet and stuff, but I don't really recommend tropican pellets, as they contain A LOT of fruit and other unhealthy ingredients, and TOP's is already a lot healthier. If tropican is all you can afford then so be it, but then it should be a smaller part of his diet.

I think the feather issue is due to being rough:)

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
hi, I know he just saw the vet and stuff, but I don't really recommend tropican pellets, as they contain A LOT of fruit and other unhealthy ingredients, and TOP's is already a lot healthier. If tropican is all you can afford then so be it, but then it should be a smaller part of his diet.

I think the feather issue is due to being rough:)
Ok! I think will order some more tops this coming week!

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
That's good! I wish I could feed my lil guys TOP's but it's 40usd for 4Ibs(Or R600)!!

I give my birds roudybush(for now..)
I know sometimes it hard especially when living in different parts of the world the rates and tax are mind blowing

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I know sometimes it hard especially when living in different parts of the world the rates and tax are mind blowing
yes!! SA has about 15% tax on most items!! International hipping is also more expensive due to coved, meaning the products have become more expensive. Hopefully in a few years the prices will go a bit down so my birdies can have the best food!

Most Reactions