Feathers lost over 2 nights??

Dragonloverjas

Apr 11, 2019
So I have two princess parrots, and am having a very unusual issue out of nowhere. The two live in the same cage, and have plenty of time to fly around the house. But yesterday, I uncovered the cage, and the green one (Quro) was missing almost all of her back feathers. The feathers were ALL over the bottom of the cage. Misty, the grey one, was completely fine. I couldnā€™t think of anything that could have happened, my only theory is that MAYBE Misty attacked Quro? It wouldnā€™t make any sense, but itā€™s literally all I could think of. I moved him to a seperate cage and removed all the feathers from Quroā€™s cage, and thought that maybe the issue was solved. But today, I uncovered the cage to see that Quro is now missing most of the feathers from her front, and there are once again feathers EVERYWHERE. I have no clue whatā€™s happening, could she really have plucked them all out that quick?? Iā€™m assuming I should take her to an avian vet, but I really need to know what to do until then. She lives in the same room as my Eclectus, Green Cheek Conure, and two of my budgies. Quroā€™s had plenty of contact with all of them, as theyā€™re a very social bird. Theyā€™ve also been acting entirely normal other than the missing feathers on her back and belly. Iā€™ve attached an image of what I saw when I uncovered the cage today. Any help would be very much appreciated, Iā€™m very worried for all of my birds safety.

Attachments

• 70F795A8-7E41-4FEE-8DC3-3C41D0FACCFB.jpeg
    70F795A8-7E41-4FEE-8DC3-3C41D0FACCFB.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 121

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
See if Misty shows signs of aggression around Quro. If she does, separate them and take Quro to your avian vet. Actually take him to the vet anyway, regardless of whether or not it's Misty causing the damage.
Also can I say that cage is amazing?

Budgierose

Dec 10, 2021
Parrots
Hi! I am Budgierose! I don't have any birds yet but I love to learn about them and help others with my budgie information!
So I have two princess parrots, and am having a very unusual issue out of nowhere. The two live in the same cage, and have plenty of time to fly around the house. But yesterday, I uncovered the cage, and the green one (Quro) was missing almost all of her back feathers. The feathers were ALL over the bottom of the cage. Misty, the grey one, was completely fine. I couldnā€™t think of anything that could have happened, my only theory is that MAYBE Misty attacked Quro? It wouldnā€™t make any sense, but itā€™s literally all I could think of. I moved him to a seperate cage and removed all the feathers from Quroā€™s cage, and thought that maybe the issue was solved. But today, I uncovered the cage to see that Quro is now missing most of the feathers from her front, and there are once again feathers EVERYWHERE. I have no clue whatā€™s happening, could she really have plucked them all out that quick?? Iā€™m assuming I should take her to an avian vet, but I really need to know what to do until then. She lives in the same room as my Eclectus, Green Cheek Conure, and two of my budgies. Quroā€™s had plenty of contact with all of them, as theyā€™re a very social bird. Theyā€™ve also been acting entirely normal other than the missing feathers on her back and belly. Iā€™ve attached an image of what I saw when I uncovered the cage today. Any help would be very much appreciated, Iā€™m very worried for all of my birds safety.
Hi! I am not super educated on birds so I don't know how much I will be able to help, but I do want to offer some advice because of your situation. I would look for any signs of aggression towards eachother in the parrots, I would also look for any signs that something in Quoro's cage or area is bothering her or causing her stress, I would also look into some kind of a Vitamin A supplement to help her feathers become stronger. I am sure this is a very tough situation and I hope this helps!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Awe I'm so sorry Quro is losing feathers. To rule out self plucking you can put a motion detector camera(nanny cam, house cam) facing her cage to see what is going on while you sleep. I'm sure this will also help your vet rule things out.

To help her feathers grow missing Link is a great brand I found.

Most Reactions