Fed Up with Eye Infection

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Long story short, I took Birdie (budgie) back from her irresponsible guardians. They weren't following the care regimen I instructed them on after I gave her back to them after I got her liver to improve and tumour to shrink.

Anyways, after I returned her, they somehow managed to let her get an eye infection. They brought her to the vet, then were told to give her oral antibiotics twice a day for seven days. Well, those idiots gave her FOUR days' worth of antibiotics in one day, then quit giving them to her because it was "too hard" to medicate her.

Anyways, I took her back, and noticed she started developing an eye infection again last week. I started medicating her again, and by day two, I realized I wouldn't have enough to complete the course (that's when I realized they'd wasted four days' worth!). Contacted my local vet to see if they'd give me a refill, but they couldn't see her until Tuesday, but they assured me they'd get me in ASAP. Tuesday rolls around, I phone, and the receptionist tells me that eye infections are too "specialized" to be treated at the vet (how the heck are eye infections "complicated"?). So, we contact the original hospital that prescribed the meds, and they said they'd send the prescription to my local vet.

We wait, then phone the local vet. Nothing. The other hospital still hadn't sent the freaking prescription. We phone the other vet. No response. We call again. No answer. Again and again, they don't pick up the phone. We phone this morning and somebody finally picks up. They tell us that no, they WON'T send the prescription to our local vet. They want us to drive all the way to their hospital, pay $50 since this is a follow up appointment, then fork over an additional $100. Again, I just want some freaking antibiotics for a simple eye infection.

So, we contact yet ANOTHER vet clinic, closer to us. They advertise having lower prices than any other clinic. They'll only charge us $165 to see her, a mere $15 MORE for poorer quality care. Again, I'll even take freaking eye drops at this point. It's just a run-of-the-mill EYE INFECTION. You know, the sort of thing you go to a walk-in clinic for.

We've taken our animals to the vet dozens of times over the years for a variety of reasons. But nothing has been more convoluted and enraging than trying to get some antibiotics for a freaking eye infection. Her eye continues to get worse by the day because she keeps rubbing it because it's so itchy! I've lost all patience and decided to just order some medical-grade honey to smear all over the outside of her eye. If it can treat necrotic tissue and festering ulcers, I bet it can treat an eye infection. I'm pretty confident it's just her outer eyelids and skin surrounding her eye that's infected, given the eye itself looks clear and isn't teary or crusty.

I'm not being cheap or lazy here. I just can't wait any longer struggling to get her seen by a vet. The honey will be here in 1–3 days. If we manage to get her eye taken care of before then by a vet, great, if not, at least we have some honey to try.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel your frustration, abd in this situation I wish they'd gi e you a refill.

But in general anything to do with eyes is considered serious, more specialized, and not routine.

I have heard of honey for wounds. I have never heard it used for eyes tho...

Eyes are tricky, and even if it was your vet who saw abd treated originally they would probably make the burd be seen again incase they wanted to change meds or even to refill. Sorry

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmmm, sounds more an issue with people selection than eye infection problem.

The overdose happened, at this point, you have 'X' number of days of medication, provide it and as you near the end, check the progress. It is 'possible' that it maybe enough to stabilize the Infection or eliminate it.

Prescribed medication require a Vet visit. Since the bird was taken by someone else, issuing you another dosage without a visit is not going to happen.

Chalk it up to dealing with stupid people and move on. Life is way to short...

Most Reactions

Latest posts