Feedback on Mash

MangoMuttonChops

Oct 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Lala is a 4+/- year old Goffin's Cockatoo rescued from the shelter October 13th 2017. Beautiful, spunky and loves love! 💘
Hello!!

So I'm trying my hand at some mash in an effort to transition Lala towards a healthier diet. I've done some research and think I've got a good mash and will be going out after work to get the ingredients.

Is this a good mash? Fruits will be given separately because it won't be as often she'll get them because of the sugar. We'd like to get her on a pellet/mash diet but for now, until we decide on a pellet (I'm leaning towards Harrison's but its pricey. Any suggestions on a mid priced but good pellet brand) she's on the leftover food from the shelter. I thinks it's Katee?

Here's the mash--

*mung bean
*garbanzo bean (chickpea)
*snap pea
*fenugreek seed (if they have it...never heard of it)
*pumpkin(seeds, guts, meat)
*Lentil
*barley(if I can find it)
*sweet potato (uncooked)
*green bell pepper (can they eat the core and seeds?)
*cucumber
*corn(thawed from frozen)
*kale
*quinoa(do I cook it?)

Everything blended and frozen in ice trays. After freezing everything collected into bigger Ziploc bag. (Will this freeze and then that and still be good? Or will the kale wilt?)

All dry beans soaked for 12 hours after being thoroughly rinsed.

Some lemon juice thrown in the blend to help preserve (or is this not needed?).

Also...can you season your mash? Suggestions? Is this even needed?

Am I missing something? I keep thinking seeds but I'm trying to get her off seeds right? Am I soaking the beans long enough? Should I cook or soak the quinoa? I need healthy products I can get from Wal-Mart.

Feedback plz!!!!

Also...we are carving pumpkins tomorrow night for our Halloween party 🎃 and was wondering if I just cut the top off a pumpkin can Lala perch on it and just eat straight from the pumpkin. Guts and all? Can she chew the stem?

:white1:

Last edited:

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
I made chop for the first time yesterday, after reading and reading I finally gave up and just threw a bunch of crap together and, well, Mav seemed to love it. Can't comment on the wilting kale, I guess we'll see what transpires. I did package in 3 day increments so that its never in the fridge longer than 3 days.

I've never heard of fenugreek seed either...

They can eat the bellpepper seeds, but I read that they can be picky so I omitted the seeds for our first attempt.

I would definitely cook the quinoa, but I don't think you have to soak it like you do beans.

I used uncooked rolled oats in mine to help absorb some of the water. The bellpeppers are very juicy, I ended up having to use a bunch of paper towels to try to dry them up some.

I would also cook the sweet potatoes. I've heard that raw sweet potatoes aren't so good for parrot bellies.

I found a article online about "flash freezing" when you're done. You spread it all out thin over a cookie sheet to freeze, helps cut down on freezer burn.

OP
M

MangoMuttonChops

Oct 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Lala is a 4+/- year old Goffin's Cockatoo rescued from the shelter October 13th 2017. Beautiful, spunky and loves love! 💘
I've screen shotted this, ty so much. It's very helpful.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Add oatmeal if you're going to freeze it. The oatmeal will absorb some of the water/condensation that happens when you freeze, and the leafy stuff will stay a little better. Also, I chop kale up super tiny, and it stays fine.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Oh, and my last batch of chop was yam, butternut squash, zucchini, broccoli, carrot, turnip, rutabaga, golden beats, radishes, kale and spinach, plus brown rice and white beans of some sort (can't recall which one now).

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
You Probably already know this, but just in case. Cook the beans first.
Yes, cook the Quinoa. My guy absolutely loves Quinoa.
He also loves when I add fresh Dill & Cilantro in the mix. I add a lot of greens (spinach & arugula etc...) He really enjoys the bitter greens.

Add oatmeal if you're going to freeze it. The oatmeal will absorb some of the water/condensation that happens when you freeze, and the leafy stuff will stay a little better. Also, I chop kale up super tiny, and it stays fine.

I’ve read oatmeal makes their feathers beautiful. I have tried several times but, Levi just isn’t interested.

Most Reactions