Feeding by BeeBee

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
My beebee parrot likes his food set out all day ( fruits and veggies). He grazes throughout the day. He doesn’t eat a lot in the morning. Since I see so many people feed their parrots twice a dayβ€” I am wondering if this is okay based on his size. I give him pellets in the evening with my homemade seed mix, which he will graze through in the evening. His vet said he should eat 60% pellets and no fruit or nuts. That would be hard as they eat fruit in the wild. Thoughts? Thank you! πŸ˜€

Attachments

• EA428E5A-7CB4-478D-8246-5E4454B2F78E.jpeg
    EA428E5A-7CB4-478D-8246-5E4454B2F78E.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 70
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My beebee parrot likes his food set out all day ( fruits and veggies). He grazes throughout the day. He doesn’t eat a lot in the morning. Since I see so many people feed their parrots twice a dayβ€” I am wondering if this is okay based on his size. I give him pellets in the evening with my homemade seed mix, which he will graze through in the evening. His vet said he should eat 60% pellets and no fruit or nuts. That would be hard as they eat fruit in the wild. Thoughts? Thank you! πŸ˜€
I would disagree with your vet. I think the staple of your birds diet should be fresh food, NEVER processed food (pellets). Fresh food provides them with important vitamins, enrichment, and much more!

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
I would disagree with your vet. I think the staple of your birds diet should be fresh food, NEVER processed food (pellets). Fresh food provides them with important vitamins, enrichment, and much more!
Looking at the pellet ingredients (I’ve tried them allβ€” Harrison’s, birdtricks, etc.) you can get all the nutrients from fresh food if they are good eaters. I don’t understand this dietary theory either. I train him with pine nuts and walnuts and he gets quinoa, flax, spirunilla, supplements, chia, bee pollen, etc. in his dry mix.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
nothing wrong with a pellet based diet plus veggies, seeds and fruit. Most veterinarian articles and nutrition seem to advice still 10% seeds, 10% fruits and unlimited veggies. Many parrots are classified as seed predators ( lol) and seeds are said to be psychologically benefits. But seeds are not a complete diet a d they eat such a variety of stuff in their native habits, so 10% is considered good.

Mine are out all day with veggies and pellets a d then eat their seeds in tge evening when I put them in the cage.

Your bird is gorgeous 😍 would love more Pic and be sure to add some in the photo of the month contest. Plus his chop looks amazing

Last edited:
OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
nothing wrong with a pellet based diet plus veggies, seeds and fruit. Most veterinarian articles and nutrition seem to advice still 10% seeds, 10% fruits and unlimited veggies. Many parrots are classified as seed predators ( lol) and seeds are said to be psychologically benefits. But seeds are not a complete diet a d they eat such a variety of stuff in their native habits, so 10% is considered good.

Mine are out all day with veggies and pellets a d then eat their seeds in tge evening when I put them in the cage.

Your bird is gorgeous 😍 would love more Pic and be sure to add some in the photo of the month contest. Plus his choo looks amazing
Awww. Thank you, Laura. He is finally shedding his overpreened and clipped feathers from the pet store. Yesterday there were 14 feathers down for the count. He’s looking much healthier! πŸ™‚

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I agree, he's gorgeous and his chop looks better than my lunch!

Most Reactions

Latest posts