Feeding Cooked Soy Beans?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have seen so much conflicting points of view on this topic that I honestly don't know what to believe anymore...

My birds go absolutely nuts over cooked soybeans. Just scarf them down like someone is going to take them away from them if they don't inhale them all the instant you put them in a bowl.

I've been giving them each a handful every day, thinking this was a good thing.

Then I'm told it's a bad thing. Horribly bad. Could be killing them. BAD BIRD DAD! BAD! BAD! BAD!

No, that's an old wives tale, and in fact, most commercial bird foods have soy bean meal in them. It's perfectly safe, nutritious and beneficial in moderation.

No, that only shows that most commercial bird foods aren't all that safe. Soy is BAD.

I don't know what to think anymore. Does anyone know of any solid trustworthy research specific to COOKED soybeans. (I know you're not supposed to feed them raw soybeans.)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I feed Gil edamame. I don't give tons of tofu but he gets cooked beans and loves them. I have only really been concerned with non organic because I have heard soybeans are one of the "bad" veggies when not organic.
But I am no expert. I know I eat soy a lot as a vegetarian.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I feed Gil edamame. I don't give tons of tofu but he gets cooked beans and loves them. I have only really been concerned with non organic because I have heard soybeans are one of the "bad" veggies when not organic.
But I am no expert. I know I eat soy a lot as a vegetarian.

That's what I've been giving them cooked edamame, and they go nuts for the stuff... then I was told it would destroy their liver, make them sterile, potentially poison them, etc.

Which appears on it's face to be nonsense. But there's always a part of me that says what if it's not...

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I would like to know as well. Venus and Buddy loved them but I stopped feeding soy beans to them altering Bing told it was bad for them too.

Taprock

Oct 22, 2015
Northern l.p. Michigan
Parrots
Buzz - CAG,
Ziggy - Nanday/Sun Conure,
Jasper - Goffin
Loki - Starling
Gloria - Foster CAG
Birdman I can only tell you in regards to poultry. I would assume parrots would be more sensitive than a chicken. You can not feed RAW soybeans. When feeding soybeans to poultry, soybeans must be heat (roasted 270* at least 20 minutes) treated to destroy a trypsin inhibitor that disrupts digestion. The presence of the trypsin inhibitors will also cause an enlarged pancreas (a 50%-100% increase). We add the meal to the feed in winter for the added protein.

Most Reactions