Feeding Station?

PCash

Sep 7, 2017
Parrots
Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure (Male)

Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (Female)

Yellow Shouldered Amazon (male)
How do you feed your birds their chop?

I heard that birds like to eat communally, so I've been feeding them their chop when we humans have our breakfast and dinner. I'm not happy with the current set-up in the kitchen for my two GCCs. One eats on a stainless steel island top and the other on a newspaper covered buffet.

I'd love to see pictures of how others feed their chop. I could just put it in their cage, but I prefer to keep the fresh food mess in the kitchen. Since I'm home all day for the most part, I can give them an hour or more to eat their chop in the morning in the kitchen anyway.

Thanks in advance!

OP
P

PCash

Sep 7, 2017
Parrots

I'd love to have the room for the Kaytee stand, but a 21 inch diameter is just two big for my rather narrow kitchen, especially since I need two, one for each bird.

I'd love to have a set-up like that though, with the tray and casters. Anybody know of narrower ones?

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Maybe this: Borange Bird Perch Wood Training Stand Parrot Wooden Platform Stand Natural Handmade Playstand Playground Cage for Parakeet Conure Cockatiel Cage Accessories Exercise Toy (Design 2 (2 cups)) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDGB7F9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8ZQMBbM61VH5E
Or this: I have one of those and it's pretty good.
FDC Parrot Bird Perch Table Top Stand Metal Wood 2 Steel Cups Play for Medium and Large Breeds 17.5" x 12.5" x 11" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQLBQBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_R0QMBb3KNKJQK

OP
P

PCash

Sep 7, 2017
Parrots

Thanks!

Where do you set them? Or do you know of narrow rolling stand I could place these on?

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I don't know of one. Just set on the kitchen counter.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I feed chop in the cages.

I have seen someone who set up a feeding station using a 10 gallon aquarium! Kept things a little cleaner... lol

OP
P

PCash

Sep 7, 2017
Parrots

An aquarium sounds interesting. Was the feeding station in the aquarium, or above the aquarium? I've looked at different ideas for catching the mess, but with chop they do tend to fling whatever gets on their beaks everywhere anyway. Right now, I'm just using two placemats I wipe down after they finish eating.

i did feed chop in the cage one morning, but I missed our breakfast time together. It's a nice way to get everyone up and going in the morning.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I put in a casserole dish, because the sides are upright and it's sturdy enough for them to sit on the edge, or jump right in to get the good stuff,! Works great for all three. ;) Do glad you are doing a community meal, I too agree it's good for the flock! :)!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It was fed inside the aquarium, but if I recall right, it was turned on it's side so that the bird could walk in and out no problem.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Bumble gets chop in her cage, and when I’m home and she’s out she likes it best when I hold her dish, or some food, while she eats it. She is not spoiled. I have no idea what you mean. That said, you could also easily build a PVC stand and attach food cups the same way they were attached in that second link Sunnyclover shared for probably a couple of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

PCash

Sep 7, 2017
Parrots

Ooh, I like that aquarium idea. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Actually, I'm loving all of these ideas. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts