Feel Beak at top of head

Tanua

Apr 3, 2022
Parrots
Over 100 I am an aviary
I just got a regular green cheek at a pet store where I sell my parakeets to. Great people!

I got this green cheek for $400 and the tag said β€œneeds work”!

I know he is just a baby but I can feel the top of his beak on the top of his head. At first I thought it was cracked or something or a break perhaps, but it just feels like the top of his beak right there where it goes into his head. It is prominent and protrudes a little bit.

Also another concern is the personality wise because of the way he acts. He ducks down and scampers all over the place and he as fast as a rat I promise. Is this normal? Should I be concerned or take him to the vet?

He choose the color of my shirts and tore holes all in it yesterday but I know some Conures just like to chew. Should I be concerned?

BTW: I named him Scamper

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
@Laurasea @Terry57

If you have any concerns, please go to a vet! Him chewing is normal. Do you know how to feed baby birds?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sharing pictures would be helpful.
And as Stormy mentioned any concerns are best checked by an avian veterinarian. Good practice fir a new burd anyway.

Congratulations on your new little Scamper!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I agree with my friends above, if it were me I would schedule a vet appt. just to have him checked out.
Pictures would definitely help concerning his beak.
I'm glad you joined us and I love the name Scamper:)

RatFluffz

Jul 12, 2022
Parrots
Ladybird - Goffin's Cockatoo
Nibbler - Green Cheeked-Conure
I just got a regular green cheek at a pet store where I sell my parakeets to. Great people!

I got this green cheek for $400 and the tag said β€œneeds work”!

I know he is just a baby but I can feel the top of his beak on the top of his head. At first I thought it was cracked or something or a break perhaps, but it just feels like the top of his beak right there where it goes into his head. It is prominent and protrudes a little bit.

Also another concern is the personality wise because of the way he acts. He ducks down and scampers all over the place and he as fast as a rat I promise. Is this normal? Should I be concerned or take him to the vet?

He choose the color of my shirts and tore holes all in it yesterday but I know some Conures just like to chew. Should I be concerned?

BTW: I named him Scamper
Can you show a picture of his beak? That would be helpful :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am not an expert with green cheeks and especially young ones. That said, from a structure vantage point, the bone structure of the skull as it meets upper Beak with an Adult Amazon is smooth with a slight lift transition, not unlike what one sees as the transition from a Human fingernail. Understanding that a Parrot's Beak is much the same as our fingernails as both continue to grow.

It is possible that the nostril has not fully grown in as of this point and that could be what you are seeing.

The advise above regarding photos and a Vet visit is great advise.

Most Reactions