Feeling guilty about downsizing...

MillerTime

Feb 8, 2020
San Francisco East Bay Area
Parrots
Lilac crowned amazon named "Miller"
I have owned "Miller" for about 10 years now. The first 6 or 7 years he lived with me and my ex in a medium size cage. When we split my housing situation changed so I took Miller to live with my mom. I didn't live there but visited very often and he adjusted well to the change. While living with her I got him a much larger cage and he has seemed happy. He didn't go through any real behavioral changes and adapted to the larger cage well.
I recently got married and I am moving to a studio apartment with my husband and I am able to have Miller back with me again. The only problem is that his "Parrot Palace" won't fit in our studio so I am having to downsize his cage. I feel awful about it. We won't be in the studio forever... the plan is to stay there for a year or less and then move into our own house where there would be space for the Palace.
I am currently looking for a reasonably priced table top cage or at least one with a small footprint if it is freestanding. Miller is not a very active bird. He doesn't do alot of wing flapping or rowdy horseplay so I am hoping he will adapt well to a smaller cage again.
What is the absolute smallest cage for a lilac crowned amazon that you would recommend? We have a dog also so he won't be able to roam the house constantly but will definitely get adequate out of cage free time when I am there to supervise.:green::green:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
By description Miller seems adaptable to new situations. Transitioning to a larger cage at your mom's house was helpful. Generally, the smallest reasonable cage allows for fully outstretched wings and accommodates a variety of toys. Perhaps a free-standing cage with playstand atop is best compromise for the studio.

Do you plan to retain the "palace" at your mom's house for future use? If he does not adjust well, is a temporary return to your mom possible?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I guess you need to weigh it up. Will Miller prefer more Mom time even if it's a smaller house or his larger palace? I'm sure he will let you know soon enough and if it fails perhaps he can go back.

OP
M

MillerTime

Feb 8, 2020
San Francisco East Bay Area
Parrots
Lilac crowned amazon named "Miller"
I plan to keep his palace to use outside in warmer weather and I am still looking for a smaller suitable cage. Does anyone have any good websites that they use to order bird supplies from?

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts