Feelings of Guilt

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
As you know I had a rough few days with my Sun Conure. In the process of getting repeatedly bit, which was my fault because I was forcing her to step up.

I feel guilty about my behavior toward her. Now I did not hit her or strike her in any way, but when prying her off of my fingers, I was not exactly gentle. I was a bit rough and at one point when I freed myself, I threw her back in the cage (well, she was flying too, so it wasn't like she fell like a hot rock.

I feel really guilty because I feel like my anger toward her got the best of me. While she has urged me on multiple occasions, I feel like this was my worse and I feel terrible because it's not like I just got this bird. I had her for 18 years.

I apologized to her yesterday, and I don't know if she understood any of it, but I felt really bad.

I am just feeling like an emotional wreck. I feel like an animal abuser and offended God (God created her, after all).

Keep in mind I am on my cycle, so I have been all emotional for like the past week.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm so sorry. I guess just a couple things to consider. First and foremost, you're only human. None of us is perfect, no matter how hard we try to be for our feather babies. It happens. Best we can do is learn from it and accept that today is a new day. The other thing that jumps out at me is the number of very hormonal birds we're seeing lately. Maybe the result of strange weather patterns we've been having, IDK, but it's definitely noticeable. It's hard to detach yourself from all those feelings when your sweet loveable baby acts like you're evil. You're not. They have zero control over that rush of chemicals coursing through them. I imagine they feel as terrible as we do. Best I can offer is to try to remember it's not personal. You've done nothing wrong that brought on the behavior, and know that it will pass. Please don't beat yourself up for a human moment of weakness.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What you did is a human reaction, and very hard to not do exactly what you did. Very hard. The one time Salty bit me and decided to hang on and grind deeper, my reaction was the same, your mind and reactions are saying "GET THIS OFF!!". I shook him off my hand. And like you I felt terrible, and like you, you will get over this and so will your Sun conure.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
As you know I had a rough few days with my Sun Conure. In the process of getting repeatedly bit, which was my fault because I was forcing her to step up.

I feel guilty about my behavior toward her. Now I did not hit her or strike her in any way, but when prying her off of my fingers, I was not exactly gentle. I was a bit rough and at one point when I freed myself, I threw her back in the cage (well, she was flying too, so it wasn't like she fell like a hot rock.

I feel really guilty because I feel like my anger toward her got the best of me. While she has urged me on multiple occasions, I feel like this was my worse and I feel terrible because it's not like I just got this bird. I had her for 18 years.

I apologized to her yesterday, and I don't know if she understood any of it, but I felt really bad.

I am just feeling like an emotional wreck. I feel like an animal abuser and offended God (God created her, after all).

Keep in mind I am on my cycle, so I have been all emotional for like the past week.
Don't be as I had done that many times and my BB always forgave me. Just double up your TLC when both of you are calm down and everything will be bright and sunny for both mother and child!!

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Blue Crossover Quaker named Murray
My Murray nibbles at me sometimes and the other day, he bit the open palm of my hand. Not hard, and it wasn't a malicious bite. It was more like a nibble, but it was at just the right spot where it really hurt (no skin broken or visibale marks). I had a similar reaction to yours. I yelled OUCH! and then I flung him off of me and he hit my desk and keyboard pretty hard. He wasn't injured, and he stood right up and was his usual gangster self, wanting to come back for another round (this bird isn't afraid of ANYTHING). I held out my hand for him to step up. He did and I promptly marched him to his cage and shut the door behind him. After about an hour, I let him back out and it's as if nothing happened.

I'm just saying don't let it get you down. A single "incident" is not the same as a lifestyle or a pattern.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I admit I’ve shaken off birds from my hand. It’s hard not to do that and not to get scared and then angry because a bite HURTS. That’s natural. Feeling pain helps you stay safe.

I don’t think you’re a bad person. I think your girls maybe are getting older and grouchy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts