Feisty Breeding pair of Sun conures

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
Hey guys,

so My fiancé and I not only are getting buddy the Grey but we're also getting a breeding pair of Sun Conures. Now breeders were not our intent but it's what we're getting so we're going with the flow o_O *Practices zen breathing* They are coming from a BYB who got busted and cleared out, but rescues cant have breeders and you cant remove nexting boxes from a breeding pair.... so yea, here I am lol

Now these two fire chickens are not particularly friendly, but I would love to make friends with them. Any Tips/Tricks? We'll be getting them in a few weeks and I want to be prepared

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hey, congrats! I'm so excited for you to bring them home!
Links for taming the conures:

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I'd never heard you can't remove breeding boxes before! Is that because the female will just lay eggs continually if not sitting on a clutch?

OP
IcyWinteRose

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
I'd never heard you can't remove breeding boxes before! Is that because the female will just lay eggs continually if not sitting on a clutch?
I guess she will just continue to lay eggs on the bottom of the cage and be more agitated. That’s what I was told anyways

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
It might very well be true--I've just never heard it before! I've never had a breeding pair, I have a pair of bonded doves who sit on a nest but frankly doves come with a completely different user manual than parrots. Lol.

Do you plan to just replace the eggs with fake ones? If so... I wonder if it wouldn't be worth just testing the waters and seeing how they would react to losing their nesting box. I have to be on constant watch duty for eggs in the dove nest, it's doable but oops babies are very real. (I haven't had any--knock on wood!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts