Female baby caique (can she be raised alone?)

Bekka

Oct 13, 2019
Hi! I recently got a baby caique of 5 months old. She is lovely, and we do many things together. From bike rides with her lash, to playing during the weekend with anything we find. She has flew away around 7 times and has always come back when I call her. We get allow really well.
I live in germany, and today I visited a kind of club, where instead of being guided on how to take better care of my bird, I felt highly attacked for owning one. From alm they said I kept one thing that has been in my head all day long. They told me that my caique will suffer during her hormonal season when she grows up and she has no partner. That I should get her a male parrot now that she is a baby so that she is not by herself. Is it true??? Is there any mental stress that she will get because she is lonely? Am I really harming her? I cannot have two birds... at least not now. And I want the best for her... so I don't know what to do. This caique and her companion bring me mental peace and has improved my life by making more organized of my time... but I don't want to harm her in any possible way.
Please any info would help me. Feel free to be honest.

Regards from Bremen germany (I'm Mexican),
Rebeca

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi and welcome Rebecca!!

Glad you joined us! Everyone has different opinions. I have heard that European countries are believer in multiple parrots are happier

. But in the US we think it's fine to have one well lived and cared for parrot freind. And certainly wouldn't add a male and worry and deal with egg laying or breeding new birds!!!

Now my personal opinion , is having a bird freind of same sex, or different species, or the opposite sex parrot in a non breeding set up can be very Beneficial to the birds mental health. But only if you the caretaker want and can provide for a second parrot. Because even same species parrots may not get along, and cause all kinds of stress for you!!
If you and your bird are happy that's all that matters. If you don't want a second bird then it's not a good idea to be bullied into one!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Nonsense. Caiques do just fine as only birds. All parrots experience some getting out of whack during their pubescent time, and maybe to a lesser degree during yearly mating season, its different for each individual, and lots has to do with the bonding, care, diet and treatment of the parrot with their humans. That group soundlike the kind that wants all parrots and birds to be not kept at all as companions.

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
Sometimes birds suffer more during hormonal seasons as a result of other adult birds being around, regardless of sex. E.g. One is not interested in the other, or there is a live triangle with a human, or one lays infertile eggs as a result of being made hormonal enough by the presence of the other, and is distressed when they go rotten and have to be removed, or becomes calcium depleted by constant egg laying due to sexual frustration in unrequited attractions, or there are live young and one of the parents suddenly kills one for reasons we don't understand, then the parents fight and can kill each other too. A lot can go wrong. So I don't think anyone should risk fertile eggs unless they are willing to take over the full time job of feeding the chicks if a parent attacks them, but even same-sex companions can lead to problems that make the birds suffer.

Last edited:

rita1

Jul 28, 2017
Media
this is a difficult question and many of us will not agree.
i have kept one and have kept more, personally i think they are happier with company. they have their own cages while i am at work. but both come out to play when i get home, they will preen each other play and fight. but at night they like to cuddle up together and sleep. but as said this is my own personal oppinion.

Most Reactions

Latest posts