Female Eclectus needs a new home

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
I can't believe I am actually posting this. I love my eclectus very much, but I am backed into a corner where I have no other option but to find her a new home. So here it goes...

I have had Nalani, my 3 1/2 year old female Solomon Island Eclectus, since she was 8 weeks old. I've hand fed, weaned and took care of her as my little baby till now. Recently, I moved due to transferring schools and everything has been fine for the first month or so. However, my neighbors have made several complaints about noise and my mother has developed a severe allergy to both of my birds (Nalani and Layla). Now, before anyone begins to comment, my mom has always had allergies... but in our previous home we did not have central air. Since Nalani lived in my room, she was separated from my mom and her allergies was very manageable. But with the new house and vents that connect to all rooms, my mom's allergies has worsened to the point where I had to board Nalani for a few days at a time. I do vacuum every other day and both Nalani and Layla get frequent baths, but it hasn't helped with my mothers condition. She has recently gone to the doctors and been prescribed with an inhaler due to her respiratory issues. Layla has already found a home with a friend of mine who owns smaller birds. However, due to Nalani's size and more demand for attention and care, she cannot take both.

So here is a bit of information about Nalani. If you look through my previous posts and threads, Nalani isn't the "perfect" parrot. She does have a bit of screaming issues and I won't sugar coat this. She doesn't scream if there is someone around/near her. However, she tends to scream a lot when either no one is home or she can hear noise but cannot see the person. I've tried many different techniques, including positive reinforcement, training, ignoring her screams... but this is just how she has always been from day one. I think it's mainly due to the fact that I received her before she was fully weaned (one of the many reasons why taking a bird in prior to weaning is so detrimental). Now, on to more positive traits... she is VERY independent. From day one, she's been spoiled with lots of toys. So as long as someone is home to watch her, she can entertain herself for hours at a time outside of her cage. She is fully flighted, though she rarely flies (only when spooked). She can say a few words such as "hi, hello, come here, Nalani, I love you, step up" as well as mimic sounds. She is 3 1/2 years old, so she is in the middle of her hormonal stages... though I will mention that she hasn't been aggressive or tried any nesting behaviors. The only difference is that she has bit a little more vocal and territorial of her cage and stand towards strangers. I study a lot at home, so she is rarely caged (only at night when I put her to sleep), so I am hoping to find her a home where she can have a similar type of freedom (if not, an aviary for her to spread her wings and explore).

As for nutrition, Nalani has recently become a lot more picky when it comes to fruits and veggies. I still offer her a variety of fruits, veggies, corn and cooked mix as well as a little bit of seeds in the evening. I have noticed that she eats all of her cooked mix and corn but has been much more finicky with fruits and veggies (just something to note).

For medical history, Nalani's last veterinary visit was about a year and a half ago. She's has a few veterinary visits when I first received her, until she reached about 2. This was for routine check ups (not because she was sick). She has had a full avian disease panel done as well as fecal exams, blood work, microchipped and received her polyoma vaccine.

Nalani isn't the most social of birds, she is very content with sitting on her perch and observing others around her (this is pretty characteristic of most Eclectus). However, just because she isn't a cuddle bug, doesn't mean she isn't affectionate! Nalani, loves to be held and will sit on my lap as I do homework, or sleeps on my chest as I watch TV. She gets along well with Layla (my GCC) and my dog, Berry. Nalani is a little weary of strangers and it does take a few days to gain trust. But she hasn't aggressively attacked or bit anyone in a very long time. As a matter of fact, most of her bites were out of defense towards people she didn't fully trust.

I know this thread is a bit long, but it's almost over so bear with me. I live in Los Angeles (Culver City to be exact). I am only looking to find her a home locally, so NO SHIPPING. I am asking for $700 donation to one of the local parrot rescues (Olive Branch Parrot Rescue, Parrots First, Parrot Education and Adoption Center, Lily Sanctuary, Fine Feathered Friends Foundation... if you have another rescue in mind just let me know and I'll check it out). Nalani will come with everything! This includes, her cage, tree stand, medical records, a very nice aluminum carrier, and all of her toys. I am not looking for any monetary compensation... the money donated will help other parrots in need, as well ensure me that you have the funds to take care of a parrot (as they can be quite expensive). I am looking for a home that can give her love and care, someone with prior bird experience is a HUGE plus, but not required (I will note that someone with bird experience will be given priority). I also ask that I do a home visit.

So in summary: if you are interested, tell me a bit about yourself, your home and prior bird experience. I can do a home visit and if everything is great, I ask for a $700 donation to a local parrot rescue (Olive Branch Parrot Rescue, Parrots First, Parrot Education and Adoption Center, Lily Sanctuary, Fine Feathered Friends Foundation... if you have another rescue in mind just let me know and I'll check it out).

I am very saddened, but I am hoping that Nalani will be placed into a wonderful home as she is an extraordinary companion.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I LOVE that you are asking for the donation directly to the rescue.

Best of luck and I'm very sorry you have to do this.

OP
moni.k

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
I LOVE that you are asking for the donation directly to the rescue.

Best of luck and I'm very sorry you have to do this.

Thank you Doublete for the support. Through this process I realized how hard it is to not only place a bird into a new home, but also the emotional difficulties of having to give a flock member away. Lucky, I am able to take the time to find the best possible home for Nalani. However, I know others aren't as fortunate as I am. Knowing how difficult it is to run a rescue, I think this is an opportunity to make a positive impact out of a difficult situation.

OP
moni.k

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
Nalani is still available. If the rehoming fee is too much, we can negotiate the donation amount. Once she has been placed into a new home, I will remove this post.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
You sound like such a wonderful bird owner. I really hope that you find her a good home.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm just seeing this and I'm so sorry that you have to rehome Nalani. I have 2 ekkies myself, and I know it would kill me to have to part from them.

I just wanted to pose a question to you, though. Just how certain are you that Nalani is the source of your mother's allergies? I ask this specifically because I know someone who was certain that birds were the cause of a severe respiratory allergy... until it turned out they weren't. And this revelation came to light several doctors, and rehomed birds, later. Tragic situation, and easy to see how it might happen.

Consider, your mom's allergies have worsened since moving to the new house. Your assumption that central air contributed to this by forcing the bird dander through the house is logical enough, but it is still an assumption.

Have you considered the possibility that there might be something else in your home triggering her allergies? Now, I'm not saying that Nalani is not the cause, because she very well might be, but I am saying that she also might not be.

My suggestion? Try finding some place to board Nalani for a few weeks. If the symptoms disappear, you have your culprit. But if they don't...

This is important on several levels. If she isn't the cause, aside from the fact that you won't have to unnecessarily rehome her, you'll know that there is something else in your household that is aggravating your mother's allergies.

Just a thought. Either way, I wish you, your mother and Nalani all the best in this. And as was mentioned by someone else, I was touched by the fact you are looking for the rehome fee to go to a local rescue. I really respect that.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Just wondering, has your mom been tested for allergen sources? Stephen (Anansi) brings up a very good point: until you have proof, you are merely assuming. Take her to an allergist and have them do the prick test. It could very well be allergy to mold in the central air system, for all you know.

OP
moni.k

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
An allergen test most likely won't be covered by my mother's insurance and I know how pricey they can be. Plus, I have boarded Nalani a few times since we have moved when my mom's allergies were at its worst. When Nalani and Layla are both boarded at a friends house and we do a clean sweep of the house, my mother's symptoms lessen dramatically. We also have 2 air purifiers in my mom's room as well as one in my room which has been helpful and probably the only reason Nalani is still with me. It is a very sad situation and one that I didn't see coming. However, my family understands how much they mean to me, so Nalani has a place in our home until she finds the right family.

I've actually contacted a few sanctuaries in my area, one of which asked for $5,000 in order for them to take Nalani!!! I was pretty shocked by the amount, I knew there would be a relinquishment fee for many sanctuaries (I was guessing between 500-1,000), but I wasn't expecting it to be that much... that's literally a down payment on a car.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I hear you. I was very surprised to learn how much Rescues charge to take a bird. I think it's a big reason for multiple flippers out there. It's just driving someone like you (and I am not saying you, but maybe someone else in a similar situation) to let the bird go to the first one who is willing to take it.
At the same time, I can see the Rescues problems too. Many times they just go and rescue many birds from bad breeders or just take birds from regular shelters because people dump their birds at the near by dog/cat shelter. The Rescue is not getting any money for care of these birds, and many of them need vet's assistance right away.
Sad story everywhere you look at it......
You sound like a very good parront, so sorry you can't keep them....:(

Last edited:

ashleyah44

Jan 17, 2016
Media
Southern California
Parrots
White Capped Pionus
Hi there,

New to this site, but have been owned by my little sidekick WC Pionus for 12 years. If your mom's allergies are really bad, I'd be willing to foster Miss Nalani until you find her perfect home. I live in Ontario California and would be happy to help as you aren't that far from me. If you'd like to talk, message me. It won't let me because I am so new lol

NicoTheGreenwing

Jan 24, 2016
Oklahoma
Parrots
GreenWing Macaw
Green cheek conjure
Pied cockatiel
Hello there! Is your baby still available?
I'd like to discuss more about her if possible, she's beautiful :)
Where are you located? I live in Oklahoma

OP
moni.k

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
Hello there! Is your baby still available?
I'd like to discuss more about her if possible, she's beautiful :)
Where are you located? I live in Oklahoma

She is still available, but unfortunately I live in Los Angeles, CA and I am looking to find her a home that is local.

TamLaw72

Jan 27, 2016
Media
Central Coast
Parrots
Kodi, 5 yr. old male Eclectus
Hi there, I am so sorry to read about your situation. I would like to offer a solution as far as an allergy test though: I have used hair analysis several times, with several different animals and family members. They are VERY accurate in diagnosing many different things, including allergies. It costs $180, which is much cheaper than any allergy doctor would charge you. If you're interested, just let me know and I will get their information to you.

In the meantime, I will discuss your female with my husband, just in case. 😉 We have a five year old male Eclectus who screams at the exact same times that your female screams. Maybe they would be great company for one another? I'll get back to you on that.

If you decide you want more info on the hair analysis, let me know. Have a great evening!!

OP
moni.k

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
Hi there, I am so sorry to read about your situation. I would like to offer a solution as far as an allergy test though: I have used hair analysis several times, with several different animals and family members. They are VERY accurate in diagnosing many different things, including allergies. It costs $180, which is much cheaper than any allergy doctor would charge you. If you're interested, just let me know and I will get their information to you.

In the meantime, I will discuss your female with my husband, just in case. 😉 We have a five year old male Eclectus who screams at the exact same times that your female screams. Maybe they would be great company for one another? I'll get back to you on that.

If you decide you want more info on the hair analysis, let me know. Have a great evening!!

Thank you!! I'm sending you a private message now.

TamLaw72

Jan 27, 2016
Media
Central Coast
Parrots
Kodi, 5 yr. old male Eclectus
Moni.k
Did you get my response to your private message? I am too new to respond to you through this forum, so I had to send an email.

Thank you!

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler
Hi Moni.k,

Sorry to read about your situation, it must be breaking your heart. I belong to a local bird club (there is also one that meets in culver city and one in torrance i think) and at the beginning of each meeting they make announcements including looking for birds and looking to rehome. Last month a match was quickly made for a lovely lady and a great bird. I would be happy to mention you at the May meeting (there are several ekkie owners who attend) or you may want to come yourself. I'd love to take your nalani but I just put a deposit on a baby last month so I have no funds left :(

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
Eclectus, Macaw, African Grey, Toucan
I have fostered 3 Male Eclectus Parrots for the Lilly Sanctuary here in the OC. I specialize in Eclectus Parrot care.
If you need a place for her to land for now let me know. I am in Garden Grove.

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
Eclectus, Macaw, African Grey, Toucan
I hope you were able to find a safe place for her to go since you didnt reach out to me about fostering <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts