Female Lovebird passing red blood

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird, Cockatiel, Indian Ringneck, Jenday, Peach Fronted Conure
My elder rescued female lovebird is passing red blood with her stool. There is no prolapse, we can not feel an egg. Today is the first we've seen of this issue. She will be seen by her Avian vet first thing in the morning. I've given her a mixture of Aloe Vera juice, water and cayenne powder to ease any potential gastric discomfort. I'm not sure what the exact issue is, but am hoping someone may have any other suggestions for her comfort and care until she sees our vet in the morning. I've attached a photo of her latest droppings for accurate identification. Thank you so much for any help given.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220717-125450_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-125450_Gallery.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 54

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I donā€™t know what to say. I think you are correct; this does look like blood mixed in with her dropping. If it was a red color due to something she ate it would be mixed in with the greenish feces.

Did she get hurt, sat upon, fly into a window? Did she get out of your home and come into contact with wild birds from whom she could have caught something?

You are bringing her to the vet tomorrow morning as you should be. I would keep her warm and quiet and feed her what she likes to eat until then. I wouldnā€™t feed her anything different, just keep her comfortable and be observant.

I hope sheā€™s ok. Im sorry this is happening.

OP
R

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
She has not been out of the house, at all, Nor has she flown into anything or been injured. Oddly, she had another movement and it was completely normal. No red tinge or any such thing to it. This was after giving her the aloe Vera and cayenne. I will be taking her in in the morning for the vet to assess the situation. I'm hoping it was perhaps, a burt capillary from possibly straining to poop, or an ulcer issue. A bit of a confused situation atm.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Do you have the original, photographed poop? Has the ā€˜redā€™ in the poop oxidized and gotten darker? That how I tell itā€™s blood and not coloring from diet or dye.

I hope that this is random and your bird is quite well. How scary! Iā€™m glad youā€™ve had no repeats of the bloody poop.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
The first few drops stayed rather red. But the part in the poop turned darker over time. Then, nothing but regular poop after that. It is an odd situation.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The first few drops stayed rather red. But the part in the poop turned darker over time. Then, nothing but regular poop after that. It is an odd situation.
This makes m me think it was blood and not dye or food colorā˜¹ļø but now I see she is older and a rescue. So you donā€™t know whatā€™s in her past, if sheā€™s had any reproductive or gut problems, injuries, disease, etc.

Everybody has problems as they get older. I hope this resolves without event.

OP
R

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
Do you have the original, photographed poop? Has the ā€˜redā€™ in the poop oxidized and gotten darker? That how I tell itā€™s blood and not coloring from diet or dye.

I hope that this is random and your bird is quite well. How scary! Iā€™m glad youā€™ve had no repeats of the bloody poop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220717-145942_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-145942_Gallery.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 46
OP
R

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
This is the same first poop, stayed bright red while the green got darker...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220717-145942_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-145942_Gallery.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 48

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hmm. To the left it kind of looks like there are pieces of red food in there. That or clot.

OP
R

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
She is eating, running around, chirping and shredding stuff. Acting absolutely normal. The original poop with red still has not darkened and is still bright red. I went through similar with one of my other birds but her poop was red, not just the stuff around it. Still going to bring her in for a check-up to be on the safe side.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well, could she have gotten into red paper or some food youā€™re not aware of?

I would have expected food dye or red food culprit to cause the fecal matter to be reddish and not outside the feces. Looked to me at first maybe there was some bleeding in gi tract. Who knows? Iā€™m glad sheā€™s appearing well and behaving normally!

OP
R

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
Well, could she have gotten into red paper or some food youā€™re not aware of?

I would have expected food dye or red food culprit to cause the fecal matter to be reddish and not outside the feces. Looked to me at first maybe there was some bleeding in gi tract. Who knows? Iā€™m glad sheā€™s appearing well and behaving normally!
I saw her eating a yellow pellet yesterday, there are red ones in the bunch, so quite possibly so. She does shred lots of paper, though I don't think I have red up there, I can make sure and if I do, remove it from the options for her. My Jenday went through a period of only eating red pellets and freaked me out. Her poops were much different looking though, so didn't occur to me it may be red dye this go around. Feeling a foolish, but rather be safe.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ok. Well, you may have solved your mystery. Who knows? My birdā€™s fruity pellet poops were more orangey rather than red and the orange was in the fecal matter. Thatā€™s most of why I was worried. I mean, she could have bird hemorrhoids, tooā€¦

Red construction paper might do it.

OP
R

Rscates

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots

I wanted to send a very big thank you for pointing the color thing out to me. I've been through this with my Jenday when her diet changed, but it all looked different and it didn't snap that it could be the same issue with this newer rescue. I recently lost my Budgie to liver cancer and the very thought of loosing my Juliette blinded me to what was really happening. Again, I greatly thank you for helping to ground me to the issue at hand. Mind you, I will still be bringing her in for her annual check-up, but to realize it isn't an immediate emergency is very helpful. I appreciate the help, it is why I came to this forum.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I about lost my mind seeing the poop/pee the first time my bird ate beets, so I can sympathize! Hopefully it was a one off and she'll check out just fine today :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Note - other red things can show up in poops, like red beets! THAT will give ya a scare for sure, if you don't expect it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts