Female Macaw human preference?

mdjmsmith2

Dec 14, 2021
I am getting a beautiful female baby (think Blue and Gold). The breeder is male, and there is a part of me concerned she will bond to him instead of me. I have read Macaws will prefer one household member and put up with the rest.

But does gender really make a difference or does it come down to play and personal time spent with the bird?

Any advice and thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
With my macaw, it seems to be a little of both. He definitely prefers females. He seems to interact and trust females more willingly. But, he is gaining trust with my husband and son, and the kids male friends that take the time to play with him and learn his "language". So while they may have a preference, it's more like a little hurdle to get past, not a huge mountain to climb.
I've noticed with mine that the more people that have positive interactions with him, the more open he is to meeting more people. But each person has to earn their status of approval with him on their own, it seems (male or female).
But I've only had my macaw for about 3 months. He's 9 months old. So maybe someone with more experience with the macaws than I have will help out here too 😃

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
With most parrots, especially very young ones, its more about spending the quality one an one time with them male or female. AS great exercise is to play hot potato with the family , calmly passing the parrot from person to person for a minute or 2, maybe with a small treat, like a pine nut, from each. Make it a part of your nightly family time! Or when friends come over. The more the parrot is introduced to new people, in a positive manner, the better socialized they become.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
With most parrots, especially very young ones, its more about spending the quality one an one time with them male or female. AS great exercise is to play hot potato with the family , calmly passing the parrot from person to person for a minute or 2, maybe with a small treat, like a pine nut, from each. Make it a part of your nightly family time! Or when friends come over. The more the parrot is introduced to new people, in a positive manner, the better socialized they become.
Al, we agree completely. Passing the birdie and playing "hot potato" is an excellent method to socialize and hopefully prevent them attaching to one person.

Most Reactions

Latest posts