Female - unusual behaviour

Ian

Sep 10, 2012
Hi,

Does anyone recognise this...

My ? age adult female, cuddly tame, loves me, mixed reactions to others, bickers with male Alex.......... has been acting very odd all day today.

Normally very cuddly in a 'too sort of way shes now gone further and is literally pressing her body against me, eyes are near permanently pinned and her neck is "extended" giving her the meerkat look.

She eats very well and is fully flighted so shes very lean/strong, I don't think shes ill in any way. She spends her days making shoe-box nests (she always has done - this is nothing new). The house enviroment is all 100% parrot friendly etc.

Any ideas? Please tell me shes not trying to make whoopee...

If shes doing it again tomorrow I'll get a picture.

p.s. Lots of talk about whether Alexs are cuddly or not. I don't think its a species thing, I think its a bird by bird thing. My female is like a little cuddly toy, my male just wriggles away.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Is they're anything scaring her ? She might be coming to you for protection. Did you put anything new in your cage or anything new in the house? I don't really know about the behavior, I don't own any alexes

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like she might be overly hormonal, although I can't say for sure.... might be a good idea to not allow her to make any 'nests'.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
It is fall hormone time. And, nesting just accentutes it. Also, when "cuddling", don't touch her back or belly or tail. Give her time & space, it'll pass.

OP
I

Ian

Sep 10, 2012
ok thanks - I should be grateful that the pair of them are out of synch at the minute. I'm looking forward to baby birds one day....just not quite yet!

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
She sound like she's having fall hormones just like Vino and it sounds like she's doing EXACTLY what Vino does when she's "in the mood for love".... I'd say don't let her make nests anymore and when she does that behaviour stop petting her and put her back in her cage until she calms down :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts