Fenugreek leaves?

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
Hi, I was wondering if lovebirds could eat fenugreek leaves. Doesn't seem to be a lot of information on this topic so though to ask :)
Fenugreek leaves are common where I live, and I see them in the grocery store every time. So... does anybody has any idea if fenugreek leaves are safe for lovebirds?
Thanks
:D

:rainbow1:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have never fed any of my Amazons' foods that had fenugreek as one of the ingredients. But I have seen it in some products for Humans and Parrots, so quite sure it is likely safe in limited amounts.

I understand that it is very fragrant and is available in bottles as an extract. Have seen warnings that should it be spilled the aroma will stay for extended time. So take care.

The strength of the exact is a concern and as a result, take care not to over feed the leaves. Best to watch to determine if wild birds eat it and whether it is a single bit or if they chew it activity.

As with anything coming from the environment, assure that you rise well before providing.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd avoid this-- I think it is too potent. It isn't something I'd try without hard data. If I recall, fenugreek can alter hormones etc in humans.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Fenugreek has been used in humans with claims of it altering blood sugar levels, testosterone levels and breast milk production etc. However, the seeds have been used in 'sprouting mixes' for parrots. Fenugreek remains on the 'safe list' here:

Sticky: Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists + Sprouts (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)
rating_5.gif
MonicaMc

[FONT=&quot]3 – 5 Day Sprouts[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]Fenugreek: Iron, phosphorus, trace elements. Soak 6 hours, ready in 2-5 days.[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
If anyone has discovered new information deeming Fenugreek unsafe for sprouting would you please add the links. I've been using Fenugreek seeds in my sprouting mix for Ellie and Bertie and would like to be certain about using it again. Thank you.

OP
C

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
Ok everyone, thanks!
I don't think I will be feeding them fenugreek leaves... doesn't seem worth the risk

Most Reactions